Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928794 times)

townie

Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #2376 on: May 22, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
There is always more than one. One day it will come up, What's the saying when you get something wrong I was just going off the caption. ;D 

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2377 on: June 07, 2018, 02:13:14 PM »
Now here are a couple of real "old pubs of brum" They were next door to each other on Deritend High Street one at number 221 and the other at 222. The location was between Milk Street and Floodgate Street, sadly I think they were both gone by the early 1900's. The Old Leather Bottle was at number 222 and Ye Old Three Crowns was at number 221.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Francis McGonigal

« Reply #2378 on: November 09, 2018, 07:43:50 AM »
My wife and I have fond memories of the White Swan on Grosvenor St. West just off Sheepcote St. (not to be confused with several other White Swans in the city).[/font][/size]We were last there about 2001. We always intended to go back but by the time we did some years later it was closed up, sadly. It was a cosy old-fashioned pub, a contrast to the louder bars on Broad St.[/size]
I understand it later went through a few refurbishments and was called Darwin's for a time. It has had two phases as a restaurant - it was the Grosvenor Rice Co for a time and is now a Caribbean Restaurant. Well at least the building is still there and in use.[/size]

Moley

« Reply #2379 on: January 13, 2019, 09:26:23 PM »
the cabin was one tough pub lots of big families lived around the radleys area during the late 70s the skinheads and punks used it ,if you knew people you were safe if you didn't ..it was a difficult pint. They used to have live bands and discos there ,but obviously that didn't last long having lived and schooled there i wouldn't have changed it for the world

townie

« Reply #2380 on: January 14, 2019, 06:25:57 PM »
A pub that doesn't get a lot of mention on the forum was The Horse Trader, Smallbrook Ringway. A really nice pub if I remember rightly.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2381 on: January 16, 2019, 03:58:22 PM »
My wife and I have fond memories of the White Swan on Grosvenor St. West just off Sheepcote St. (not to be confused with several other White Swans in the city).[/font][/size]We were last there about 2001. We always intended to go back but by the time we did some years later it was closed up, sadly. It was a cosy old-fashioned pub, a contrast to the louder bars on Broad St.[/size]
I understand it later went through a few refurbishments and was called Darwin's for a time. It has had two phases as a restaurant - it was the Grosvenor Rice Co for a time and is now a Caribbean Restaurant. Well at least the building is still there and in use.[/size]

Francis

The White Swan as it used to be.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2382 on: January 16, 2019, 04:12:49 PM »
the cabin was one tough pub lots of big families lived around the radleys area during the late 70s the skinheads and punks used it ,if you knew people you were safe if you didn't ..it was a difficult pint. They used to have live bands and discos there ,but obviously that didn't last long having lived and schooled there i wouldn't have changed it for the world

Moley

A pub I never used, if I was drinking in that area it would have been in the Meadway. Here is a photo of the original Cabin in 1959 and it's replacement at a later date. It looks like they were building the replacement in 1959.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2383 on: January 16, 2019, 07:53:46 PM »
Moley I agree with you the Cabin was a rough pub, do you think that could be one of the reasons it changed its name to The Mazeppa?

townie

« Reply #2384 on: January 22, 2019, 10:11:36 AM »

Does anyone know anything about The New Inn pub that was on Bromsgrove Street?

Thank You.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2385 on: January 23, 2019, 03:54:48 PM »
The Trees on Bristol Street a good old fashioned pub that was handy to grab a pint when leaving the Bristol cinema. It was replaced by a plastic pub version in the 60's that might have been cleaner and more sanitary but like most of these modern pubs it was never the same.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2386 on: January 23, 2019, 06:02:09 PM »
what was the name of the pub on the other side of the Bristol road by the fire station in sallyoak ?
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy