Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928885 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #2431 on: February 06, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »
Judith

Another couple of pubs from your neck of the woods that I drank in during the late 70's and early 80 are these two.  The automatic word censor is never going to let me type in their names as they are both more or less the same name, so I won't try. The first one was at the back of Rubery Hospital and as we did work at Rubery Hospital we used to nick out the back gates at lunch time to have out lunch and a pint nearly every day we worked there. I have to say it was nothing like it is today and was nearly always empty during the day.

The other one was on Jiggins Lane this one has also changed drastically since the 70's when I used to pop in there with my brother in law after they had moved to Bartley Green it was a quiet country lane pub we used to drink in the smoke room and if there were another 2 or 3 people in there then that was considered a full house. I was in there about ten years ago and the whole pub had been knocked into one room and there must have been at least a hundred people in there.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #2432 on: February 07, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »
Judith

Another couple of pubs from your neck of the woods that I drank in during the late 70's and early 80 are these two.  The automatic word censor is never going to let me type in their names as they are both more or less the same name, so I won't try. The first one was at the back of Rubery Hospital and as we did work at Rubery Hospital we used to nick out the back gates at lunch time to have out lunch and a pint nearly every day we worked there. I have to say it was nothing like it is today and was nearly always empty during the day.

The other one was on Jiggins Lane this one has also changed drastically since the 70's when I used to pop in there with my brother in law after they had moved to Bartley Green it was a quiet country lane pub we used to drink in the smoke room and if there were another 2 or 3 people in there then that was considered a full house. I was in there about ten years ago and the whole pub had been knocked into one room and there must have been at least a hundred people in there.

Sadly, the 1st one that the Censor won't let us type the correct name for - lets just call it the Rooster - is a burned out shell with developers wanting to demolish it & replace it with retirement flats. 
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2433 on: February 07, 2019, 02:20:41 PM »
Judith

I didn't know about the pub on Rubery Lane being closed. It seems that it's obligatory now that closed pubs get burnt down. Was it closed for a while before the fire?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Empson

« Reply #2434 on: February 07, 2019, 03:44:30 PM »
To all the older Brummies.
Can any of you confirm that there was on Cheapside a pub called The Country Gentleman.

I don’t remember it at all and mynDad who was born and brought up in
jakeman walk and his grandmothers house in longmore Street could not remember it .

Did it ever exist?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2435 on: February 07, 2019, 07:41:48 PM »
Empson

Have you got any dates for this pub, because I can find no record of it in any of the trade directories. This may be because it was only licenced as a beer retailer and could only sell beer porter and cider. Accordingly it would have only been listed as a beer retailer and any name (if it had one) would not have been listed.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2436 on: February 07, 2019, 08:15:57 PM »
To all the older Brummies.
Can any of you confirm that there was on Cheapside a pub called The Country Gentleman.

I don’t remember it at all and mynDad who was born and brought up in

jakeman walk and his grandmothers house in longmore Street could not remember it .

Did it ever exist?

Empson. How did you come across this pub?
Does the name Staggs ring any bells
 from Jakeman Walk?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #2437 on: February 07, 2019, 11:16:53 PM »
To all the Brummies' that drank in town in the 70s do you remember The Horse Trader, Smallbrook Ringway? 

JudithM

« Reply #2438 on: February 08, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »
Judith

I didn't know about the pub on Rubery Lane being closed. It seems that it's obligatory now that closed pubs get burnt down. Was it closed for a while before the fire?

Yes, it was empty for about 3 years, during which it was badly vandalised before being set alight (arson).

https://www.bromsgroveadvertiser.co.uk/news/15488210.historic-rubery-pub-fronts-perished-pubs-calendar/

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/regional/15588060.suspected-arsonist-completely-destroys-roof-of-derelict-rubery-pub/

townie

JudithM

« Reply #2440 on: February 13, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
This one on Broad Street is in the news today -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47213755

Do you have any old pictures of it?  I know it was Old Orleans at one point & then was empty for quite a while before it became Zara's.  Had it always been a pub/nightclub, or was it a house at some point?

townie

« Reply #2441 on: February 13, 2019, 03:23:11 PM »
Best thing to happen.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy