Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928644 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #2453 on: February 19, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »
Judith

Looking on Google street view  most of the new builds on Callowbrook Lane are houses. The only flats (sorry apartments) are down where the Plough used to be. Apparently Astwood used to drink in the pub and says it was on Callowbrook Lane and that it was replaced by flats. Look at his posts on this thread for September 18th 2009.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #2454 on: February 20, 2019, 01:38:22 PM »
Judith

Looking on Google street view  most of the new builds on Callowbrook Lane are houses. The only flats (sorry apartments) are down where the Plough used to be. Apparently Astwood used to drink in the pub and says it was on Callowbrook Lane and that it was replaced by flats. Look at his posts on this thread for September 18th 2009.

I'm not sure where the Plough used to be, do you have the street number?  I was thinking the Corn Cob was where these flats are -

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=43517953F16D90978EDA9DE208F20A64BB05C84E&thid=OIP.47LvhrJl-snt9TTg2B7t8AHaFj&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ahfieldproperties.com%2Fassets%2Fcontent%2Fproperties%2F42%2Fphotos%2F1.jpg&exph=525&expw=700&q=callowbrook+lane+&selectedindex=5&ajaxhist=0&vt=0

They are on the corner of Callowbrook Lane & Deelands Road.  Is this where the Plough was?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2455 on: February 20, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »
Judith

I have to admit I thought those were houses as some of them are, the Plough was right down the other end of the lane and at one time New Road went right past the front door before the bypass arrived.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #2456 on: February 21, 2019, 01:04:00 PM »
Judith

I have to admit I thought those were houses as some of them are, the Plough was right down the other end of the lane and at one time New Road went right past the front door before the bypass arrived.

Yes, there are a couple of houses, but the corner block leading into Deelands Road is flats.  Do you know when the Corn Cob was demolished?  I've tried to search & can't come up with a date.  I'm still trying to decide whether I actually saw the Corn Cob!

The Plough looks like it was a great building.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2457 on: February 21, 2019, 02:31:16 PM »
Yes, there are a couple of houses, but the corner block leading into Deelands Road is flats.  Do you know when the Corn Cob was demolished?  I've tried to search & can't come up with a date.  I'm still trying to decide whether I actually saw the Corn Cob!

The Plough looks like it was a great building.

Judith

I have no idea when it opened or when it closed because it was a rarity inasmuch as it was one of these pubs that I have never heard mentioned and certainly had never used or even passed by. I don't think it could have been there long at all.

The Plough like many of these large pubs on the outskirts of Birmingham ended up as one of these chain restaurants, but unfortunately it most have been losing money toward the end and it was decided a nice apartment block would be more profitable. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #2458 on: February 22, 2019, 01:31:04 PM »

Judith

I have no idea when it opened or when it closed because it was a rarity inasmuch as it was one of these pubs that I have never heard mentioned and certainly had never used or even passed by. I don't think it could have been there long at all.

The Plough like many of these large pubs on the outskirts of Birmingham ended up as one of these chain restaurants, but unfortunately it most have been losing money toward the end and it was decided a nice apartment block would be more profitable.

I do wonder what percentage of closed pub plots end up as retirement flats  ;D

That complex on the Corn Cob site looks newer than the amount of time I've lived in the area, but the bus route used to go down [censored] Hill Lane rather than Callowbrook Lane until a few years ago, which could explain why I'm not certain whether I saw the Corn Cob when it was still running.  We'd have gone down Callowbrook Lane only occasionally in the car.

mick m

« Reply #2459 on: April 01, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »
I have asked this question before on the vauxhall forum,but with no luck,but I will ask again if only to check if my memory is going. Does any one remember the Shepherd and the Shepherdess pups one was in Henry Street and the other in Great Brook Street I think? both run by a brewery called Kelseys I believe they where demolished in the mid to late 50.s. They then rebuilt one in Rupert street called the Prince Rupert,but I believe it did not last too long before shutting down.Is there any one out there who remembers  or has any information on them?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2460 on: April 01, 2019, 07:58:00 PM »
Mick

Have you asked about this pub on here before, because if you had I couldn't have seen it or else I would have answered you as the pub was only a couple of minutes walk away from where I lived in Francis Street. It was on the corner of Heneage Street and henry Street. This photo of the shepherd & shepherdess claims to have been taken in 1956, but I thought it had been demolished by then, if it wasn't then it couldn't have been long after that.

There were quite a few Kelsey's pubs in the area around that time, the Ashted Tavern on the other side of Ashted Row on Henry Street was a Kelsey's house as well.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

IsobelBrowne

« Reply #2461 on: April 15, 2019, 10:50:20 PM »
My grandad used to run this pub in the 60’s and 70’s Larry Browne.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2462 on: April 16, 2019, 08:29:19 AM »
Hello Isobel,

Welcome to the forum, which pub did your grandfather used to manage as the Shepherd and Shepherdess had been demolished by the start of the 60's, as had the other Kelsey's pub The Ashted Tavern? Have you got the right pub as there were plenty other pubs in the area that lasted a lot longer than the 60's?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

davidc

« Reply #2463 on: April 16, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »
What was Kelseys beer like and where was it brewed? :)
Power corrupts

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy