Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928680 times)

Tom Ward

Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #825 on: June 15, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
Can anyone remember The White Swan in Ickneild St?

tramp

« Reply #826 on: June 15, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »
sheldonboy,

Thanks for the reminder - the Mail was the first brum website I ever used, 10 years ago.   They were very cooperative when I was trying to contact Mrs Phillips ''our'' primary school teacher.  They published my request and she replied, unfortunately so did my half-bro who invited himself for a holiday and spent his time moaning about; the heat (it was Christmas), the insects (don't you have them anymore in brum?) and the people - none of whom, Dominican or foreigner, said they would have taken us for brothers ''in a million years''.  Nine months after he'd gone, I'd still not heard from him - something of a relief - so I sent him a ''get happy'' card for his birthday.  I'm very happy to say that I'm still in contact with Mrs Phillips.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #827 on: June 15, 2009, 06:48:56 PM »
Hello again Tom

I don't think we have many ex residents of the Ladywood Hockley & Brookfields area. So you may have trouble in finding others who enoyed a pint at your local watering holes.

The White Swan, was that the one in Ingleby St just off Monument Rd before the lights by the library. I don't think there was one listed in Icknield St itself. Perhaps you can tell us where it was if I am on the wrong track.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #828 on: June 15, 2009, 08:50:19 PM »
COULD it be last orders for live music in Birmingham city centre pubs?

That was the question being asked by gig-goers today in the wake of the latest stand-off involving popular watering holes and residents moving into new apartments.

The Rainbow pub, in High Street, Digbeth, has been threatened with a noise abatement order following complaints from four individuals.

In 2007, The Spotted Dog, in nearby Warwick Street, was also hit with the same order.

And the Fiddle and Bone, on the canal close to the National Indoor Arena, was forced to close in 2003, a year after being stripped of its entertainment licence after noise complaints from “posh” neighbours in luxury apartments at King Edwards Wharf
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

sheldonboy

« Reply #829 on: June 15, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Roy
This music business with the Brum pubs is absobloody insane.
Our City Council all, without exception want stuffing. So if I move into a house on Bordesley village and complain about the noise on Saturday afternoons, they will shut the Blues down will they.......MIND YOU   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #830 on: June 15, 2009, 09:13:18 PM »
This is what I posted on this subject in 2007,

"What a forward looking Council Birmingham City has. The planning department allows residential development in a commercial area and then Councillors tell business owners, be they pub,club or business premises they have got to keep the noise levels down. (surely the planning department understands that is why its a commercial area?) Birmingham Evening Mail today.

When I was in business if you applied for planning permission for a commercial venture in a residential area you were soon refused. So why is it allowed the other way round?"

It didn't make any sense then, and it makes even less now.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #831 on: June 15, 2009, 09:39:22 PM »
Hi Phil where do I start.
I mention The Chestnut Tree so often because as I have said I was Head Barman there in the 70s. It has also been my local since around 1967. The Nuts as we know it locally is now owned by an Indian Guy, who keeps a very good house. Unfortunately, the name has ben changed to KERI GOLD (yes I know that is an Irish butter). The large back room is now a sports bar (very bright, with large TVs) The rest of the pub is a very good Indian restaurant. Originally it was a prefab up to 1964 and it was called The Chestnuts. (after an old farmhouse that used to be nearby).
  The Cabin Sheldon Heath Road was always a good drinking house, not a place that you would want to take your wife (or anyone elses). It has also been Known as the Mazeppa and until it recently closed for good (to be demolished to make way for a four story hotel I am led to believe) it was known as the Radleys Arms.
As The Cabin in the 70s it was run by a big Irish Guy, Pat Laird and his wife Margaret. In the 60s/70s in the "concert room" (and I use the term loosely) on Friday and Saturday evenings there was a Free and Easy. All the local characters used to get up and sing, well before we had heard the word Kareoke. (and before you ask no I didn't).
The cabin /Mazeppa/Radleys Arms was always a tough pub, I was sent down there to relieve it one day, I was bloody teriffied I don't mind admitting espescially as half the customers had been batted for our pub over the years. Funilly enough I had a few drinks bought for me and everyone wanted to shake my hand. But I was glad,  to get out. That was I think the last time I went into the place. It has from time to time been a bikers pub, in the 50s/60s it was a Teds pub. But it was always a good Beer drinking house. The customers were also very good at charity nights, raisng good money for people in trouble. The closest you would have got to a cocktail in the Cabin was a Shandy..........Happy Days...    Sheldonboy
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #832 on: June 15, 2009, 10:08:59 PM »
SB

Going by what you have just said, you would recognise this then taken in1933.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ynot14

« Reply #833 on: June 15, 2009, 10:19:24 PM »
sheldonboy,
I was messing about not long ago (as usual) and put The Gladiator, Druids Heath onto the Yahoo search engine and came across a site called Birmingham: it's not [censored] where there was a thread called The hardest pub in Brum...the Gladiator was mentioned (on several occasions). Now as this was my local I was quite put out because we were a happy welcoming crowd, although I think phil had a negative experience when leaving Manningford Hall to go and get some fags, anyway it was quite amusing reading some of the comments on the thread. ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #834 on: June 16, 2009, 01:40:36 PM »
SB

Another one for you, what can you tell me about this pub. I don't think I ever even saw this pub so it couldn't have lasted long.

Its the Matchmaker on the Meadway at Garretts Green. What can you tell me about it with your local knowledge?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #835 on: June 16, 2009, 01:55:13 PM »
ynot

I think that statements about the hardest pubs in an area are pretty much down to each persons own particular ideals. Myself I think a pub having a bad reputation as a pub that has lots of trouble and fights does not make it hard. It only shows that it has bad management.

In my time as a drinker I drank in pretty much every pub and club in South Birmingham and the city centre. Most of the pubs where the really hard men drank (and I only knew a few of them) there was never any trouble in those pubs.

There were one or two that got barred from every pub that they used and some that they never, but these were idiots, I saw one of these so called hard men in a fish & chip shop well away from his old haunts when he was an old man with a very dicky heart. He was scared to go anywhere because of all the evil he had done in the past.

If I had to choose a pub that had the worst reputation I would have to go for the Speedwell just before it closed down. If you thought Dodge City was wild you never saw the Speedwell. They did the only thing possible and closed it down.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy