Author Topic: The News Theatre Cinema, High Street, Dale End  (Read 9720 times)

Faren

The News Theatre Cinema, High Street, Dale End
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:59:38 AM »
has anybody got a photo of this cinema?It closed in 1960 and was part of the Jacey Group. My Mom used to take me there on Saturdays in the 50's.

4orchard

Re: The News Theatre Cinema, High Street, Dale End
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »
Hi faren
Haven't got photo but remember the cinema well if I recall ,the programme used to last about an hour with a mixture of cartoons and newsreels we used to stay in and watch it over & over again ,fond memories
David R

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »
Hi Faren

Welcome to you, I'm pretty sure you might find a photo on our old cinemas thread here,

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2327.msg330873#msg330873

Though if not here are a couple.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Faren

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »
Thank you, I am surprised at the script used on the name "HENRYS". It looks so modern. But...things come round again.

planetmalc

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »
Back in the 50's, the News Theatre had a scrolling banner  -  using light bulbs and occupying the full width of the premises  -  that gave the watcher all the latest news.     I think it was situated near the top of the building.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
planetmalc

Did you know that it was the first cinema in Birmingham to have a moving illuminated sign. It opened in 1932 and closed in 1960.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »
planetmalc

Did you know that it was the first cinema in Birmingham to have a moving illuminated sign. It opened in 1932 and closed in 1960.

No, I never knew that.    It always seemed a bit space-age to me when I was a kid. :o
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

jncohen

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 06:21:04 AM »
Hello, I have just seen this page. My grandfather started the Jacey Group and controlled many cinemas including this one. As the last surviving director, I have started a web about the history of Jacey Cinemas Ltd and would like to add the two photos on this page. Please can I do so? My page can be found by searching for my name John Neville Cohen.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 08:59:21 AM »
Hi jncohen,

Welcome to you,

As long as your web page is not commercial or advertising or a forum type site and is for information only then I see no reason why you cannot mention or post photos here concerning the site. If it is of any of the ones mention then you would have to obrain permission first from our administtator Chris.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jncohen

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »
How do I contact Admin. Chris?  I need him to see my site to find out if he will give me permission. 

I would really like to add the two photos in this blog, but how can I ask Chris to have a look at my site, when I am not allowed to give the site address?  My site is about a number of my topics, but I have a new section all about the history of the Jacey Group & Jacey Cinemas Ltd.

jncohen.net/JaceyGroup/JosephCohen.htm

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 03:21:26 PM »
jncohen

Sorry I have been away for a few days break you can contact "Chris" via the on site messaging system and you can forward your  site address also at the same time.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy