Author Topic: brum pop groups 60s/70s  (Read 7828 times)

Ray Harrison

brum pop groups 60s/70s
« on: January 18, 2014, 04:30:34 PM »
I was talking to my grandson the other day while I was playing music from my ipod ,what a load of rubbish he said . Who are they singing ELO I said ,never heard of them he said.  So I had to put him straight  in my opinion we had some of the best pop groups in the country in Brum. Blank look.  As he is a big supporter of Birmingham City FC, I reminded him of the music they play there  Mr Blue Sky . I think I am educating him slowly . I still say we had a lot of great  groups in Brum  in 60s/70s and these groups were the fore runners to a lot of other groups.  I knew Carl wayne  back in the 60s then with The Vikings later The Move , He was a guy anyone could talk to a genuine nice guy .  You can keep The Stones/ Beatles/ etc, its Brum groups for me ( and my mate Simon)...
BUD

Stravinsky

Re: brum pop groups 60s/70s
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »
Raymond Froggat was another excellent "support band".  Still around now I believe

Saw ELO at the Odeon New Street

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
the last chance in aston was the place to meet the brum bands it was an all night café the bands would call in there 0200 or 0300 after a gig going back to the late 60s  I some times did the paper run I would be out all night and call in there until it was time to get the papers coming up from london
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

maltablue

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:43:23 PM »
There was a group called the " Cheetahs". They used to play at the Ritz, Kings Heath in the mid 60's.
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

blane

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »
I used to see ''Danny King and The Royals'' at the White Swan in Washwood Heath on a Friday night.Great times. O0 O0 O0

Stravinsky

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 01:07:06 PM »
Speed Limit at the Railway Curzon Street

tony armstrong

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 02:18:05 PM »
dont forget spencer davis black sabbath and the apple jacks

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »
I think you will find all the groups with a Birmingham connection here,

http://www.brumbeat.net/bandindx.htm

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 06:28:46 PM »
The Bobcats     from Shard End
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 06:35:45 PM »
The Move   I think the group was formed by all the members leaving there previous bands and forming a new one, hence the name The Move.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

cocacolakid

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »
I was talking to my grandson the other day while I was playing music from my ipod ,what a load of rubbish he said . Who are they singing ELO I said ,never heard of them he said.  So I had to put him straight  in my opinion we had some of the best pop groups in the country in Brum. Blank look.  As he is a big supporter of Birmingham City FC, I reminded him of the music they play there  Mr Blue Sky . I think I am educating him slowly . I still say we had a lot of great  groups in Brum  in 60s/70s and these groups were the fore runners to a lot of other groups.  I knew Carl wayne  back in the 60s then with The Vikings later The Move , He was a guy anyone could talk to a genuine nice guy .  You can keep The Stones/ Beatles/ etc, its Brum groups for me ( and my mate Simon)...

Ray...

I too knew Carl Wayne, but when I knew him he was only 5 yrs old, as was I. We both had just started school at Stechford Rd, Castle Bromwich and were in the same class, we played together.  His real name is Colin Tooley,  he lived in Chipperfield Rd.
                                                                                                                                  Malc. 

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy