Author Topic: church on corner of farm rd sparkbrook  (Read 22977 times)

tali

church on corner of farm rd sparkbrook
« on: January 04, 2008, 08:43:28 PM »
Very disappointed that the church on corner of  farm rd  sparkbrook which suffered tornado damge was demolished a few months back.
Sad to see a piece of my brum childhood disappear
"I hear much support for the monarchy.I hear the Union Jack's to remain .I see Namatjira in custody.I see Truganini's in chains"

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: church on corner of farm rd sparkbrook
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:21:25 PM »
hi tale was that the church on the corner of farm road and grantham road by the park?
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:06:01 PM »
I suppose we are talking about Christ Church here, the one at the junction of Farm Rd, Grantham Rd and Dolobran Rd. It had been closed for quite a while. The tornado damage only gave the church authorities the excuse they were looking for to demolish it.

I suppose the next thing we'll hear is the land has been sold off for some large amount, if it hasn't already. At least they put some of the features into storage such as the stained glass windows etc.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tali

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 01:03:26 AM »
Yes agree it was an excuse to get rid of it.
Several months  before bloke in a van pulled up and asked directions for  the church  "that is going to be demolished", i told him i don't know of any but closest is Christ Church- and i told him (my exact words)" It certainly ain't that one because its been there for over 100 yrs and is historically important  and they would repair at all costs rather than knock it down"
How wrong i was:(
"I hear much support for the monarchy.I hear the Union Jack's to remain .I see Namatjira in custody.I see Truganini's in chains"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »
tali

you will learn, that nothing is historically important to the established Christian church if it gets in the way of making money. I'm afraid other faiths have the Christians beat when it comes paying reverence to their old and historical edifices of religious faith. It always surprises me that these old buildings are not listed.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 02:02:13 PM »
phil i think its lack of use and its not making money for the church but it will when they sell the land off has it got a bone yard i can not remember not being a church goer

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 03:08:29 PM »
Roy,

I have to say in all the hundreds or even maybe thousands of times that I have passed this church I have never entered the grounds. If I remember rightly the walls around it were quite high, so if I am honest I must say I don't know if there were any burials there but I will find out.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 04:30:45 PM »
Phil and Roy Ben,
You're quite right, this demolition was ungodly vandalism by the C of E - just because the parishioners weren't putting enough in the plate to equal the interest on the cash obtainable from sale of the site.  As a nipper, I used to go the doctors on the corner of Farm and Stratford Roads.  The surgery was run by 2 women doctors, Barrow and the other, Williams had a Rolls-Royce and lived in a house on a big triangular plot at a junction on the main road to Kings Heath. She gave me a ride out there one day, and I got back on Shanks' pony.  I'd told her I had the bus fare, but there was no way I was ever going to waste money on getting back to Ombersley faster.

Langstraat

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
It's a matter of sound economic practice which church's remain and those that fall by the wayside.
 Church's receive no financial assistance from the state and are funded by contributions from their parishioner's and investments as with many other institutions, Churches in areas which have large unchristian ethnic groups struggle to meet the expenses of a building which is used for a couple of days a week at the most. Their collection plates contents hardly cover the lighting bills in many cases. Rural Churches also suffer badly with many who open for worship on a rota basis. Insurance costs for vandalism and theft make many an untenable proposition. Churches in some inner city areas have been converted into apartments and retain their outward historical appearance. Those churches in low cost areas will not attract those who could afford to purchase or rent and consequently are sold to reduce the drain on limited resources. If the community wish to retain theses building they should support them unfortunately the communities for which they were built have since changed and moved. Here in Yorkshire many Churchs have switched faiths but still retain their religious purpose.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

tramp

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 06:52:53 PM »
Langstraat,

You said "It's a matter of sound economic practice which church's remain and those that fall by the wayside" and I thought it was all a matter of faith.

Sounds more and more like money grubbing, like the selling of indulgences which prompted Luther to hang his theses on Wittenburg's church door, thereby initiating the Reformation, one product of which, somewhat ironically (post Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley) was the Church of England  ::).

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 06:55:58 PM »
 langs now if i remember right that church was took over by the black comunity and it was all ways on the go with wedding sunday school and such like so two thing must have happend first the blacks stooped going to church or the church found it could get more by selling it than it would on the plate so is it a case of money befor folk and langs i think you'll find that they do get hand outs in the way of tax relief

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy