Author Topic: church on corner of farm rd sparkbrook  (Read 22978 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: church on corner of farm rd sparkbrook
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 06:59:02 PM »
so is money more important than folk after all the church go round the world trying to convet folk
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »
Roy

Don't forget the poor Church of England only gets a return of 10.2% p.a. on its asserts of £3.9 billion and that of course doesent include its income from all the other scams such as the collection plate. car boot sales, bingo, raffles, jumble sales and shall I say God only knows what else.

(I should qualify that by saying thefigures quoted are from the 2003 returns)

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 07:22:01 PM »
Roy Ben,

It depends on whether or not the folk of a particular church have money.

There are some churches that are well attended by largely middle class folk that are 'nice little earners', while others are like Farm Road used to be.....

In London, there are churches that are 'in places', just like some coffee bars used to be in the 50s & 60s..........

Langstraat

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »
Latest figures show almost a 17% return which is much better than most institutions including those who look after many pension funds but the fact remains if few use the facility there is little sense in supporting it. The black Christean communities mentioned are in the minority in that area they have been replaced by Asians. If something cannot support itself it becomes a liability; an uneconomic luxury for the benefit of a few.   
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »
well langs you do surprise me i did not know that a church was a luxury who would that be for the folk that use it or what?
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 08:47:47 PM »
Roy

I also didn't realise that the church's purpose was to make money. I always thought that they were there to provide a place for people to pray in addition to providing comfort and succour to the poor and needy.

Perhaps someone should remind them of this quote from someone they know quite well, at least they profess to,

"I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. Matthew" .

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Langstraat

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »

To put things into perspective, 6% of the British population go to church. I don't know what the percentage is of churches that are boarded up at present but pass 7 on my journey to work, incidental the same number of pubs.
Example.
If a church's upkeep is, say £100,000 per annum and it's congregation number 40 how can it remain economically viable?   Except as an unaffordable luxury
It seems economics are difficult to understand.

Quote:  "If people don't use them you lose them"
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

tramp

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 10:15:52 PM »
Phil, Roy & Langstraat,

As well as luxury churches, there are trendy 'go faster' (to heaven) and prosperity theology churches - the wilfull misinterpretation of ''life in abundance''.   Of course, none of them have anything to do with the poor, needy, or bereft, but they talk a wonderful job, they're modern miracles... but there isn't a single one of them anywhere near anyone in physical, mental or spiritual pain - you see, it doesn't pay, not economically viable... after all, as they've got no capital, there's no return on nothing.

tramp

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 10:24:21 PM »
As for ''If people don't use them you lose them" - why do you think people do not use them? - could it be that many feel that they don't have the right clean clothes to enter, or they've nothing to put in the plate?  Aren't churches supposed to be for such people?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 11:22:50 PM »
Is this a new religion I have heard nothing about, Where making a profit and remaining viable is more important than the congregation, more important than religious teachings, If a church's congregation falls below a certain level are we going to see (pardon the pun) mass closures

If a church is deficit should it not be funded out of the vast amounts held in reserve. When that runs out let the bishops and priests preach in the streets as did their founder. Or are they too good for that

Strange this is what I have always said,  that all religion is profit motivated and I am always being told I don't know what I am talking about and I shouldn't ridicule people faith.

So hopefully the ways things look, soon Britain will be at least one religion less.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 11:42:02 PM »
Phil

It's not new mate, far from it.  I'm sure you remember that Christ went into the temple and kicked over the money changer's tables - no, it just gets recycled, a bit like fashion, you'll have noticed that 70s flares are back.  It's just a matter of marketing, advertising, catching the wave of the moment sort of thing.  The Old Testament got it nailed ''there is nothing new under the sun'' - so, they have to reinvent the wheel - a circular locomotory appliance with a central focal point, type of thing - and of course the leader of the new niche market, sorry cult, is the centre in question.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy