Author Topic: church on corner of farm rd sparkbrook  (Read 22972 times)

Langstraat

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

tramp

Re: church on corner of farm rd sparkbrook
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 12:00:11 AM »
So to  the Bishop of London's warning that  £60m is/was needed to Prevent Church Closures, one may ask:
1. How much did the Cof E make on its investments?
2. What did it's other income amount to?
3. What was its expenditure made on?

And did the B o L have anything to say about what his diocese has been doing for the poor, needy and bereft?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 12:12:26 AM »
Does this really mean we will soon see the bishops and clergy preaching on street corners and taking the faith to the people. I doubt it. If the C of E was to become defunct they would be first in line looking for their golden handshakes.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 12:21:28 AM »
Phil,

In answer to your questions:
'Does this really mean we will soon see the bishops and clergy preaching on street corners and taking the faith to the people. I doubt it.' And I doubt that you are wrong mate.
'If the C of E was to become defunct they would be first in line looking for their golden handshakes.' 10 out of 10 sir!

Then they'll start marketing ''Hotline to Heaven'' -  it'll be like the mobile phone wars all over again.

Langstraat

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 12:33:03 AM »
Tramp,

I suggest you research the answer to the questions posed. I'm ambivalent to the church. My posting were to show the economic reasons why that specific church closed. I couldn't care less honest. The usage of churches has changes over the last ten years. I have a firend who lives in a swankey church conversion. Here are several close to where I live.
As an army man you may be familiar with Richmond near Catterick. The main church in the town square is now the regimental museum. Since I've lived in Yorkshire I seen 5 new churches built for the
Latter-day Saints.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

tramp

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 01:04:46 AM »
Langstraat,
As for suggesting that I ''research the questions posed'' which ones are you referring to, mine or Phil's?  I answered his, and have no interest in wasting my time researching what, as far as the principal quantifiable aspects are concerned, should by now be legally in the public domain.

tramp

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 01:10:06 AM »
I'd never have thought that Yorkshiremen would go for the Mormons, as they were quite conservative when I was there, and the LDS are not Christian, but then again most of Bradford hasn't been even nominally so for 30 odd years, I suspect.

Langstraat

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 01:30:45 AM »
Tramp,
The LDS are influential in the higher status communities which even exist in Yorkshire :D. As with other cults they cede a % of their earnings to the upkeep of the church. I guess they think it'll reserve them a place in heaven.  ::)

tramp

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008, 02:06:03 AM »
Langstraat,

They have little choice about giving a minimum of 10% of gross earnings - the Mormons make annual audits of each family unit.  They've been into money since Joseph Smith found some gold tablets with divine messages to him (in New York) and which nobody else ever saw. Like all other cults, the Mormons invented their own ''Jesus", and Smith's, Book of Mormon is placed ON TOP of the Bible.  If you pay enough, you may still be able to get your late grandma and other relatives 'saved'.   They also used to be both polygamists and racist (specifically anti negro) but you know, times change and they changed so as not to lose a buck.  I've seen them in Africa, the Pacific and they're here too.  They've built a massive ''temple'' which undermined several nearby buildings, causing structural problems, but, well, you know, they aren't Mormons, so let 'em suffer, it's because of their sin.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008, 10:16:26 AM »
it seems that a church is luxury for the misguided few at the cost of so Meany thanks langs youve put my mind at rest when i see them coming out of church i can think you cost money
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Langstraat

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Still struggling with the economics of the situation Roy? ;)
If church's gross costs are £100.000 p.a. and it only has a congregation of 40 then the cost is £2500 per head. £200.00 a month may not be considered a luxury to some, but it does to me.
With falling numbers the church has to decide which to keep open and which to close. The church has to self supporting as any other business, it can't survive on good wishes and the prayers of a few.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy