Author Topic: Oldest primary and secondary schools  (Read 4088 times)

tali

Oldest primary and secondary schools
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:39:36 AM »
What are Brum's oldest primary and secondary schools?
"I hear much support for the monarchy.I hear the Union Jack's to remain .I see Namatjira in custody.I see Truganini's in chains"

tramp

Re: Oldest primary and secondary schools
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 12:49:13 AM »
Tali,

Do you mean the oldest buildings or the earliest date of establishment of the schools?

There are sure to be some buildings that were formerly schools that now fulfill another purpose, and vice versa.

tali

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 07:37:46 PM »
hi, i mean "earliest date of establishment of the schools" and not age of building itself
"I hear much support for the monarchy.I hear the Union Jack's to remain .I see Namatjira in custody.I see Truganini's in chains"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 08:09:01 PM »
Well I would imagine that the Grammar School adjacent to the Saracens Head at Kings Norton is the oldest. I  haven't a clue when that was established, but I think the oldest functioning school has to be King Edwards Grammar School, established 1552.

If you are looking for another type of school like a Board School, or City of Birmingham Education Dept school or even an Independent school, you will have to be more specific.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tali

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 10:11:35 PM »
Well I would imagine that the Grammar School adjacent to the Saracens Head at Kings Norton is the oldest. I  haven't a clue when that was established, but I think the oldest functioning school has to be King Edwards Grammar School, established 1552.

If you are looking for another type of school like a Board School, or City of Birmingham Education Dept school or even an Independent school, you will have to be more specific.

Phil
Lets stick with City of Birmingham Education Dept schools

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 11:04:13 PM »
Tali,

The Birmingham Board of Education, the forerunner of Birmingham City Education Department had the  first board school built to meet local needs and it was opened at Bloomsbury in March 1873 to accommodate 1,059 children.

I think this is the earliest mention of a school in Birmingham of a standard that we recognise today. Can I just say I hope I am not doing your son or daughters homework for them. I have enough problems doing my own grandchildren's,

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 12:00:31 AM »
tali,

The King Edward VI School which Phil mentioned, and subsequent direct derivatives in brum like KE Five Ways, Camp Hill etc, and in other cities, set a standard in education for England that lasts still after over 450 years - as such it is the oldest and still probably the best academic secondary education Brum, and you could go on to a KE school from a Balsall Heath primary school.

tali

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:53:39 PM »
Thanks , i thought it was Montgomery but that was 1878(no kids homework - just my idle curiosity)

mazbeth

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 05:44:46 PM »
Thanks , i thought it was Montgomery but that was 1878(no kids homework - just my idle curiosity)
you didn't say though. Didn't realise you knew already.
Was this a quiz then? :D
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy