Author Topic: Addresses to understand, please  (Read 26470 times)

sh

Addresses to understand, please
« on: March 29, 2006, 09:38:13 PM »
Greetings to all!

II would like to know more about the following 3 addresses:

1.) Harrow Place, Vincent Street, King's Norton; Birmingham

2.) Irving St. Back House; Birmingham

3.) 139 Gerrard Street, Aston

Can anyone assist me?

Please and thanks, sh

spyro2000

Re: Addresses to understand, please
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 04:41:57 PM »
What do you want to know about them?
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

sh

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 12:30:55 AM »
What do you want to know about them?
____________________Anything and everything you would care to offer.

All three are addresses of where, once, my great grandfather lived; as a child and as an adult.  139 Gerrard was Robert Thomas Ashforth's last living address where he, his wife, and 7 children lived before migrating in USA in the late 1800's.

The former two addresses were that of his father's when he was a child.

All info is very much appreciated.

Thanks, sh

john2000

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 07:31:53 AM »
Hi"sh, the information you have given, is a little thin, most of the inner Birmingham area has be pulled down, some of the streets are still there, and they have left some of the street names.
There is  a Vincent St, in Balsall Heath, but that has been split into two, and Irving St ( back house) has no area, I think that could also be in Aston, "maybe", if its possible, try to get an old map of B.ham say around 1930's to 1950's, they had'nt started the rebuild them that started a little later, ..........................John 2000.

PS: Andy Capp, maybe able to help you, he knows the area and has seen it change over the years, 
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

sh

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 07:29:12 PM »
Hi"sh, the information you have given, is a little thin, most of the inner Birmingham area has be pulled down, some of the streets are still there, and they have left some of the street names.
There is  a Vincent St, in Balsall Heath, but that has been split into two, and Irving St ( back house) has no area, I think that could also be in Aston, "maybe", if its possible, try to get an old map of B.ham say around 1930's to 1950's, they had'nt started the rebuild them that started a little later, ..........................John 2000.

PS: Andy Capp, maybe able to help you, he knows the area and has seen it change over the years, 

_________

Thanks, John 2000

So how do I get this to Andy Capp?

I know he is in this forum; is there a way I can bring him to this particular question?

Please advise, and thanks, shirley haas

john2000

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 09:46:04 PM »
SH, Hi", Just wait, and when Andy can find time, he may contact you via this fourm, as I've said, he knows a lot of the history of Balsall Heath and the changes that have come about........................John 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

sh

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 11:12:28 PM »
 :)

Thanks a bunch!!!

My mother was an Ashforth - first generaton American; as a child growing up in Cincinnati, Ohio I didn't ask questions and certainly didn't know the wealth of history that's in our family - as it is in everyone's family.

I'm proud of my British heritage and I just want to know more about it - including these places where the Ashforth's lived because it gives me an even deeper perspective.

The Ashforths in my family were mostly silversmiths.  Robert T. was a master silversmith, journeyman.  He had no hallmarks, nor did his sons.  The sons carried on the silversmith business in America.  Mom said they were called "White metal smiths."

Lastly, Robert did move to Bridge Street (not to far from Victoria Square); my grandfather went to day school on Severan St.; apparently not to far from Victoria Square.  That's probably where the gradfather clock stood (or stands) with the name, "Ashforth" on it.

Robert had a brother that built row houses from clay, "where they still stand;"  writes my mother.

George Ashforth of 1756 - beginning of his fruitful period - had three hall marks and three differing companies.  George was born and lived in Sheffield.  I have found some information on him and would like to know more.  Too bad they didn't have photos in those days.  His tombstone reads, "Mr. George Ashforth".

Well, the more I know, the more I can put into concept.  I would like my children/granddaughter to know of their British heritage; also the childrengrandchildren of my sisters.

Thanks and Blessings, sh

Andy Capp

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 01:26:03 PM »
SH
YOU MENTIONED VICTORIA SQUARE. PARTS OF CENTRAL BIRMINGHAM LEADING DOWN TO HOCKLEY IS CLASSED AS BIRMINGHAM JEWELLRY QUARTER. THERE WERE A LOT OF OLD VICTORIAN HOUSES THERE UP UNTIL THE 1970S. EACH HOUSE HAD ABOUT 5 OR 6 ROOMS IN IT. IN EACH ROOM THERE WERE 1 MAN OR 2 MAN JEWELLRY TRADES IE CLOCKMAKERS SILVERSMITHS GOLDSMITHS & ALL TRADES DEALING WITH JEWELLRY. SOME OF THE BEAUTIFUL THINGS THAT CAME OUT OF THOSE DIRTY LITTLE HOVELS WERE BEYOND BELIEF. YOUR GRANDFATHER PROBABLY WORKED IN SIMILAR PREMISES BEFORE GOING TO AMERICA. SORRY I CAN,T TELL YOU ANYTHING  ABOUT THE 3 STREETS YOU MENTIONED I CANT HELP YOU WITH THEM. AS I WAS BORN & BRED IN BALSALL HEATH BIRMINGHAM SO I KNOW MORE ABOUT MORE ABOUT THAT AREA. I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR QUEST. ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 04:30:07 PM »
SH
HOPE YOU FIND PHOTO OF SOME USE. ANDY CAPP

sh

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 12:23:45 AM »
SH
YOU MENTIONED VICTORIA SQUARE. PARTS OF CENTRAL BIRMINGHAM LEADING DOWN TO HOCKLEY IS CLASSED AS BIRMINGHAM JEWELLRY QUARTER. THERE WERE A LOT OF OLD VICTORIAN HOUSES THERE UP UNTIL THE 1970S. EACH HOUSE HAD ABOUT 5 OR 6 ROOMS IN IT. IN EACH ROOM THERE WERE 1 MAN OR 2 MAN JEWELLRY TRADES IE CLOCKMAKERS SILVERSMITHS GOLDSMITHS & ALL TRADES DEALING WITH JEWELLRY. SOME OF THE BEAUTIFUL THINGS THAT CAME OUT OF THOSE DIRTY LITTLE HOVELS WERE BEYOND BELIEF. YOUR GRANDFATHER PROBABLY WORKED IN SIMILAR PREMISES BEFORE GOING TO AMERICA. SORRY I CAN,T TELL YOU ANYTHING  ABOUT THE 3 STREETS YOU MENTIONED I CANT HELP YOU WITH THEM. AS I WAS BORN & BRED IN BALSALL HEATH BIRMINGHAM SO I KNOW MORE ABOUT MORE ABOUT THAT AREA. I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR QUEST. ANDY CAPP

Hi, Andy -

Thanks for the update.

Actually, before Robert T. Ashforth and family migrated to the USA, they lived at 139 Gerrard St., Warwickshire (Birmingham) and Aston was the Civil parish.  He was a Master Metal Smith (Journeyn) and worked for others as hired out by the day or week, etc.

He was rather well to do.  The Ashforths had money.

The Victoria Square local was when he first started his family; my grandfather (his son) was in grade school back then.

Thanks much for your info and for that awesome photo.  Amazing.

sh

spyro2000

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 04:04:03 AM »
No need to shout Andy  8)
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1