Author Topic: Addresses to understand, please  (Read 30401 times)

sh

Re: Addresses to understand, please
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2006, 03:30:44 PM »
Again, many thanks to you for your contributions  to me.

They are indeed outstanding.

I should imagine that the 1871 Census - if there is one - would be the accurate document for their address on Bridge Street.  I'll look that up; again my grandfather Thomas Wms.Ashforth went to day school on Severn Street.  It would be great to be able to see it.  I'm a great fan of sociology, so seeing says ever so much more than just reading.

It is the 1881 Census that shows my grandfather and great grandfather (totaly of 7 children in that Ashforth family) living at 139 Gerrard St., Aston.

Yes, please, whatever you can show me, please do; please know that your efforts are greatly appreciated.  I'm enormously grateful.

Blessings, sh

Rupert

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2006, 05:52:57 PM »
SH.
 A larger blow-up of the same Gerrard area. These are the only houses on the street that seem to be Victorian. They look to be the typical townhouse with the outside loo and coal house in the back. Remember I am just guessing. Immediately to the north east of the houses there is an old building that might be or have been a masonic temple. It seems to be that kind of place.
  Further east the road bends and comes to an end at another road and across this the developments are more modern. Perhaps back then the road may have continued further east, can't tell. You say that your gt. grand father was wealthy so maybe he lived in a better house. But remember back then these were probably thought of as very desireable. Anyway they seem to be close to the road which over the years has more than likely been widened thus reducing their frontage.

Rupert

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2006, 06:04:17 PM »
SH.
  Severn St. is still there, just. It seems to have been ridden over by a highway but down on the western end there may be something left. Under the highway and east a bit there seems to be en esplanade with trees that crosses it. This and rest seems to post date your era.

Rupert

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2006, 06:13:08 PM »
SH.
  You can see how Bridge Street comes down and probably met Severn St. back then. A parking lot has put a jag in it now. Anyway it shows the relationship an gives you some idea of where your granfather used to walk on his way to school.

Rupert

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »
SH.
  This is a smaller scale view of the bridge/severn area. The building imediately above the words Paradise St. is the Birmingham Town Hall. The distance from there down to Severn Street is about a quarter mile with a drop of approx 35 feet.
  Can't find the Kings Norton address. There does not seem to be anything on Bridge ST. remaining. Irving St is in the same category. Sorry hope you are not too dissapointed about all of this.

Rupert

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2006, 07:12:01 PM »
Oops Picture.

Andy Capp

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2006, 10:03:08 PM »
SH
AS RUPERT SAYS SO MUCH HAS CHANGED IN THE LAST 40 YEARS IN BIRMINGHAM. I WORKED AT THE MAIN POST OFFICE AS A POSTMAN FROM 1963 UNTIL 1969. SOME OF MY ROUNDS INCLUDED SOME OF THE STREETS YOU MENTIONED IN THE CITY CENTRE A LOT OF THE VICTORIAN PROPERTYS WERE STILL THERE BACK THEN. BUT A LOT HAVE NOW VANISHED. AS I MENTIONED BEFORE THEY HAVE PRESERVED SOME OLD HOUSES IN HURST STREET BY THE HIPPORDROME THEATER NOT FAR AWAY. ITS RUN BY THE NATIONAL TRUST. TO FURTHER YOUR RESEARCH YOU MAY HAVE TO GO ON TO THE BIRMINGHAM LIBARIES SITE. ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2006, 10:15:12 PM »
SH
www.birmingham.gov.uk/libraries. HOPE YOU FIND THIS ADDRESS USEFUL ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2006, 10:25:57 PM »
SH
THIS IS A PICTURE OF THE PRESEVED HOUSES I MENTIONED ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2006, 10:28:23 PM »
PHOTO

Rupert

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2006, 10:57:38 PM »
Victoria Square is next to the town hall is it not?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy