Author Topic: Addresses to understand, please  (Read 30400 times)

Rupert

Re: Addresses to understand, please
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2006, 11:55:14 PM »
CHRIS 93940

Interesting map Chris.  The overhead has changed through the years but you can still see  the remains of the roads. Gower street only runs into Wheeler from the east now. Opposite on the other side of Wheeler is Old Postway and this ends at some gardens just prior to what was then Wilton now called Malthouse Gardens. You can still see a vague continuation of what was Gower to Berners Street. Berners Street is still as then, as is Lozells Street. There is still a continuation of Wilton above Lozells Road. (Must be confusing having Lozells Street and Road there). I wonder how old the Union Pub is on the corner of Berners and Gerrard. I know that the Gunmakers Arms on the corner of Gunmakers Walk and Gerrard Street is 123 Gerrard. I found another reference further west that was 161 and the houses to the right of the Union Pub are about in the middle. Would be neat to bring this to a conclusion by getting a digital photo. The web is amazing it certainly brings people from miles apart into contact. I don't know, there might be some pre 1900 houses still there.

Regards

Chris93940

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2006, 10:11:20 AM »

Rupert

The map is 22" X 27" and shows Brum from Perry Bar to Moseley (north to south) & Sandwell to Bromford (west to east)
On your computer screen it is 4 X magnification approximately 
It looks better on screen, thanks to a good scanner.
Unfortunately there is no street index.

I was in Brum on Tuesday with a digital camera!
Oh well, next time! 

Chris

sh

« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2006, 12:31:51 PM »
Well, finally, I'm back - and happy to be back.

My cisk was reformatted so I'm trying to find all that I lost, including this web site.

Any more findings on 133 Gerrrard St. -  photos by digital?

I don't see any, so maybe all that we have is all that will be.

I do thank all of your for all input which has broadened my knowledge on my quest.

I'll keep coming back.

Thanks agian, shirley haas

I'll read the messages again so that I can remain on top of what has been offered!!!

sh

« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2006, 06:46:28 PM »
SH
AS RUPERT SAYS SO MUCH HAS CHANGED IN THE LAST 40 YEARS IN BIRMINGHAM. I WORKED AT THE MAIN POST OFFICE AS A POSTMAN FROM 1963 UNTIL 1969. SOME OF MY ROUNDS INCLUDED SOME OF THE STREETS YOU MENTIONED IN THE CITY CENTRE A LOT OF THE VICTORIAN PROPERTYS WERE STILL THERE BACK THEN. BUT A LOT HAVE NOW VANISHED. AS I MENTIONED BEFORE THEY HAVE PRESERVED SOME OLD HOUSES IN HURST STREET BY THE HIPPORDROME THEATER NOT FAR AWAY. ITS RUN BY THE NATIONAL TRUST. TO FURTHER YOUR RESEARCH YOU MAY HAVE TO GO ON TO THE BIRMINGHAM LIBARIES SITE. ANDY CAPP

Yes, lots has changed; still, I can get a good look of where my ancestors lived.  It looks like there's a school or something with a lot of cars.  Wonder if it is a school.

Thanks, sh

sh

« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2006, 06:51:20 PM »
The location is on the north corner of Gerrard Street at the marker. Thats the best I can do. Good Luck.

This is excellent!  Thanks, Rupert. 

sh

« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2006, 06:58:16 PM »
Hi. SH,
  I was a bit rushed putting out the last info and looking at it I notice it is not very explanitary.
I found the Gunmakers arms together with a street number on Virtual Brum and the overhead shot shows the position of that pub on the corner. This establishes the side of the road that the odd numbers are on and if you count the number of houses to the right you will find your number before you arrive at the end of the street. If you look at the pub photograph you can see some residences set back to the right. These seem to be a little smarter. This is supposing that the numbers run up that way.
  The problem is the age of these places. The pub certainly looks of your era but it looks so fresh. Looks like it was built yesterday. However, it seems too ornate and expensive to be a modern design so maybe the old building recieved a period makeover. The houses are again difficult to assess. They are again townhouses but seem to be a little larger than the norm. and possibly better quality. There do not appear to be any chimney's on top which is not a good sign but who knows, maybe they were modernised and the old structures retained. It looks like they may be two story from the photo. The roofs from that time would have been grey slate. Perhaps that material is not used anymore. Got to go. Hovering up here is making my arms ache.

Often times, when old buildings are restored, the exact paint, etc. are no longer available; BUT when restoration is accomplished the older buildings have a magnificent look of authenticity.  This could be the case with this particular photo.  Certainly, they wouldn't tear down a historic bulding. 

It's beautiful.  Thanks, sh

sh

« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2006, 07:00:05 PM »
  Helping SH. find her ancestral home, I came across my old Technical College, Aston Tech. There it was on Whitehead Road and it seems to be exactly as I remembered it. Probably used for something different now but the area seems to be untouched. The old Victorian era houses are still there. I used to go there from the General Electric Company to Day and Night classes when I was serving my apprenticeship. In those days I used to have a ride with a fellow apprentice who had an old Wolsely motor car. It probably started life as a police car. The floor had a hole in it and the front passenger seat was a bit loose but it used to go really good. Reminded me of the loose seat in Siegfried Farnons car in All Creatures Great And Small. Personal transportation was hard to come by in those days.

Sounds like wonderful memories, Rupert; and you have discovered for yourself priceless facts.

Thanks, sh

john2000

« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2006, 01:02:56 PM »
Hi there everyone, I need some information, my Grandfather/mother lived in Wrentham Street, just off Bristol Rd and Sherlock St. I've had a look on the Google Earth, but it only shows offices,workshops and store houses. I'm look ing any photos of the area, mostly that Street, I have photos of Streets local, but not of Wrentham St,.
At the moment I'm building up my family tree, with aunts/uncles, and cousins ( who may I add, are all over Brum, its like opening Pandoras box, I've got down to my Grandfather/mother,.
So if anyone can help, I would br most gratfull...........John 2000 ??? 
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Rupert

« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2006, 11:38:20 PM »
SH,
  Click here and see where 139 Gerrard had probably been. I think where those new houses are on picture #1 next to the pub. There probably were not gardens in front of the house back then, the house probably was adjacent to the sidewalk as in the other pictures. Of course its guesswork to some extent at this point but at least from the older houses you will have some idea of the area. A big thanyou to Kieth Berry for his help on this matter. If you look at the later Google overheads that I posted you will see the same area from above. The other pictures in the Lozells folder will give you a super insight of the area. There is much that is good there.
Regards.

http://www.pbase.com/beppuu/image/60245010

beppuu

« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2006, 11:47:55 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this Forum - Rupert told me of it yesterday and the request for a photo of 139 Gerrard Street. Well, I went there this morning and took a few photos; just a few because it was raining and rain and digital cameras aren't a good mix.

The bad news is that 139 no longer exists - it would have been near the junction with Wheeler Street, because there are now 15 modern houses from that junction to the Union public house and they are numbered 1 to 31 (odd nos. only). There's no sign at all that Gerrard Street used to continue across Wheeler Street - 139 could have been over there.

Anyway, my photos are at http://tinyurl.com/mmvde

I was pleased to see the 1900 map that Chris posted. I lived in Freer Road for 25 years and was interested to see that it was only a short track in 1900 while the surrounding roads were already there. Nice if it had included Witton though.

Regards,
Keith

sh

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2006, 10:01:15 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this Forum - Rupert told me of it yesterday and the request for a photo of 139 Gerrard Street. Well, I went there this morning and took a few photos; just a few because it was raining and rain and digital cameras aren't a good mix.

The bad news is that 139 no longer exists - it would have been near the junction with Wheeler Street, because there are now 15 modern houses from that junction to the Union public house and they are numbered 1 to 31 (odd nos. only). There's no sign at all that Gerrard Street used to continue across Wheeler Street - 139 could have been over there.

Anyway, my photos are at http://tinyurl.com/mmvde

I was pleased to see the 1900 map that Chris posted. I lived in Freer Road for 25 years and was interested to see that it was only a short track in 1900 while the surrounding roads were already there. Nice if it had included Witton though.

Regards,
Keith

I do so thank you for your efforts in trying to find 139 Gerrard Street, the home of my great grandfather.

Your photos give a true concept of what Lozells and (Aston) the Gerrard St. Area.

I'm deeply grateful to all for all the efforts place in my behalf.  What teamwork!!

Stay tuned; I'll be back!

Blessings, shirley haas

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy