Author Topic: Addresses to understand, please  (Read 30398 times)

Andy Capp

Re: Addresses to understand, please
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 11:13:07 AM »
SH
A WEB SITE YOU MIGHT FIND USEFUL IS CALLED VIRTUAL BRUM HISTORY OF KINGS NORTON IS DEALT WITH ON THIS SITE ANDY CAPP

john2000

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 01:46:44 PM »
The website that Andy is telling you about is <www.virtualbrum.co.uk>
John 2000 8)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

cappdn

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 02:56:01 PM »
Hi
I think Gerard Street was in Hockley. The first Factory was built there in the late 1700s on or near Hockley Brook. James Watt & Mathew Boulton, built it on or near the brook. Hockley became very heavily industrialised from the early 1800s right though to the late 1970s. Alas it has mostly gone now. The Jewely Quarter called Soho  is only a short distance from Hockley. It has had somewhat of a revival over the past 20 years. Iknield St runs right through the old jewely quarter.I visited the area when I was on vaction there in 1997 and 2004. I now live on The Mornington Peninsula. 75 Kms South East of Melbourne in Australia.
Regards Dennis

Graham

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 04:11:32 PM »
 This might make it easier for SH, http://www.virtualbrum.co.uk/ just click on here or on here http://www.virtualbrum.co.uk/kingsnorton.htm

Graham.

Andy Capp

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 03:48:31 PM »
SH
IF YOU GO INTO BIRMINGHAM HISTORY SITE . IN THE SECTION TITLED YESTERDAY WHEN I WAS YOUNG ( BALSALL HEATH) & AND READ PEOPLES ACCOUNTS OF LIFE THERE 40 & 50 YEARS AGO, YOU MAY FIND IT INTERESTING. I KNOW IT DOES,NT HELP YOU WITH YOUR QUEST. BUT I WAS JUST THOUGHT 8) ANDY CAPP 8)

sh

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 10:10:09 PM »
Hi"sh, the information you have given, is a little thin, most of the inner Birmingham area has be pulled down, some of the streets are still there, and they have left some of the street names.
There is  a Vincent St, in Balsall Heath, but that has been split into two, and Irving St ( back house) has no area, I think that could also be in Aston, "maybe", if its possible, try to get an old map of B.ham say around 1930's to 1950's, they had'nt started the rebuild them that started a little later, ..........................John 2000.

PS: Andy Capp, maybe able to help you, he knows the area and has seen it change over the years, 

_________

Thanks, John 2000

So how do I get this to Andy Capp?

I know he is in this forum; is there a way I can bring him to this particular question?

Please advise, and thanks, shirley haas

sh

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 10:38:05 PM »
This might make it easier for SH, http://www.virtualbrum.co.uk/ just click on here or on here http://www.virtualbrum.co.uk/kingsnorton.htm

Graham.

Thanks for the web sites full of photos of the past as well as the present.  I thoroughly enjoyed looking though a bunch of them.  It clarifies so much for me, especially Kings Norton and Aston.

What, exactly, is a "back house"?

ARe they just houses that back up to each other much like many apartments do today?

Please advise, and many thanks.

sh

Andy Capp

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 11:44:21 PM »
SH
AS YOU SAY BACK TO BACK ARE TERRACES OF SMALL TWO BEDROOM HOUSES. IE A SMALL LIVING ROOM A SCULLERY & TWO BEDROOMS THAT BACKED ON TO EACH OTHER. PARENTS WITH 5 OR 6 CHILDREN LIVED IN SUCH HOUSES. MOST THEM HAVE GONE NOW. BUT ENGLISH NATIONAL TRUST HAVE PRESERVED SOME OF THEM IN HURST STREET BIRMINGHAM. ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 11:52:47 PM »
SH
ANOTHER SITE YOU MIGHT FIND INTERESTING IS THE BLACK COUNTRY MUSEUM SITE. ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 08:57:27 PM »
SH
I THINK IRVING STREET IS IN CENTRAL BIRMINGHAM. ALSO SEVERN STREET. THEY BOTH COME UNDER BIRMINGHAM 1 POST CODE. SO THAT TIES UP WITH VICTORIA SQUARE YOU MENTIONED ITS ALL IN THE SAME AREA. THERE WERE HOUSES THERE UNTIL THE LATE 1800S  . THATS WHEN THE CITY CENTRE WAS BUILT ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 07:36:48 PM »
SH YOU WILL FIND IRVING STREET ON THE MAP ALSO SEVERN STREET. ANDY CAPP

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy