Author Topic: Addresses to understand, please  (Read 30395 times)

sh

Re: Addresses to understand, please
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 11:31:03 PM »
SH YOU WILL FIND IRVING STREET ON THE MAP ALSO SEVERN STREET. ANDY CAPP

Thanks, Andy, for all of your efforts on my behalf.

Interesting to know all of these bits and pieces of information.

I found Gerrard St. in Aston - a map  on this site of 1962 (I think that's the correct date); so 139 Gerrard St. might still stand.

I keep hoping to find more and you've helped tremendously.

Thanks again, sh

Rupert

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2006, 02:26:53 PM »
SH.
Download GOOGLE earth and type the address including England in the space top left, press go and use the zoom controls at the bottom of the page and you will be able to zoom right in on top of your old house if its stiil there. The satelite views are high deffinition fot the Birmingham area. It costs nothing. Excuse the suggestion if you have already done it.  Regards

Andy Capp

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2006, 05:45:59 PM »
Hi Sh
If you think I can help in anyway with your further research. Just give us a shout
Andy Capp

sh

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2006, 01:35:26 PM »
SH
ANOTHER SITE YOU MIGHT FIND INTERESTING IS THE BLACK COUNTRY MUSEUM SITE. ANDY CAPP

Thanks, sh

sh

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2006, 01:37:33 PM »
SH
I THINK IRVING STREET IS IN CENTRAL BIRMINGHAM. ALSO SEVERN STREET. THEY BOTH COME UNDER BIRMINGHAM 1 POST CODE. SO THAT TIES UP WITH VICTORIA SQUARE YOU MENTIONED ITS ALL IN THE SAME AREA. THERE WERE HOUSES THERE UNTIL THE LATE 1800S  . THATS WHEN THE CITY CENTRE WAS BUILT ANDY CAPP

My great - great grandfather lived there as well as my great grandfather and his family; then GG moved his family to Aston.

Thanks, sh

sh

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 01:43:38 PM »
SH.
Download GOOGLE earth and type the address including England in the space top left, press go and use the zoom controls at the bottom of the page and you will be able to zoom right in on top of your old house if its stiil there. The satelite views are high deffinition fot the Birmingham area. It costs nothing. Excuse the suggestion if you have already done it.  Regards

WEll, this is different.  No, I've not done it because I've not heard of this before. Sounds good.  I might try it; I'll let you know.  I found Gerrard St. in a 1960's map in Aston.  That's the house I'm more interested in, but certainly I'm interested in all three addresses.

Thanks, sh

sh

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 01:47:24 PM »
Hi Sh
If you think I can help in anyway with your further research. Just give us a shout
Andy Capp
___________________-

HI, Andy -

How far from Birmingham is Aston?  Are both places basically in the same area?  Please let me know and thanks, sh

Rupert

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2006, 02:17:14 PM »
SH,
Google earth is a free download from the Google site. It's mailnly satellite based photographs of the whole world. Many city areas are in high deffinition so that you can zoom right in and practically see the roses in the gardens. The data base is updated every few years, the current ones being two or three years old. Google also has higher levels of this programme but these are for businesses like architects who pay for the better versions. You won't need this, they are not for private use anyway. Be careful though. This programme is absorbing. Time flys by and it's easy to forget to put the supper on.
Regards.

sh

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2006, 03:09:33 PM »
SH,
Google earth is a free download from the Google site. It's mailnly satellite based photographs of the whole world. Many city areas are in high deffinition so that you can zoom right in and practically see the roses in the gardens. The data base is updated every few years, the current ones being two or three years old. Google also has higher levels of this programme but these are for businesses like architects who pay for the better versions. You won't need this, they are not for private use anyway. Be careful though. This programme is absorbing. Time flys by and it's easy to forget to put the supper on.
Regards.

Amazing.  I will try it later today and get back to you on this.
Thanks again, sh

Andy Capp

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2006, 08:43:19 PM »
Hi Sh
if you go to the bottom end of Corporation Street which is in the city centre. Aston is about 2 or 3 miles away not far at all. Back about 2 or 3 hundred years ago it could easily have been Aston that became the big town. But Birmingham won.
I think birmingham had manor house back then. In it lived the bermingham family spelt slighty different. Hence Birminghams name. Also there,s historic Aston hall.
Andy Capp 8)

Andy Capp

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2006, 11:34:16 PM »
Hi Sh
Another site you might find interesting is The Avoncroft Buildings Museum.
Andy Capp

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy