Author Topic: Addresses to understand, please  (Read 30397 times)

john2000

Re: Addresses to understand, please
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 07:58:59 AM »
Hi", SH, funny but the river rea had alot to do with birmingham becoming what it is today, there was a major highway that crossed the Rea that went from East to West, hence, tradeing, a lot of people had small shops there and the local farmers brought their animals there also, that became the Bull ring, ( which has been moved around a little to make way for houses and stalls) you can image all around was fields, later they had commers ............. its all there if you look close, the name of the streets, the area names and things like that,
If Andy and myself and most on this board went back about 400 years, we would still be living in small hamlet, south of B/ham, today its called Balsall Heath, and because there was work, a lot of people from all over the country came to live here...............John 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Andy Capp

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 11:37:11 AM »
Hi SH
Ow Aah Ya Gooin OrrIte Aah Ya. A Brummie Greeting. IE How are you going all right are you. We will have you talking brummie soon. All the best. Andy Capp & Family

Andy Capp

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2006, 03:38:17 PM »
SH
THIS FAMOUS CLOCK IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE JEWELLRY QUARTER BIRMINGHAM
AN AREA YOUR GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER POSSIBLEY WORKED IN. aNDY CAPP

Bannion

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2006, 11:23:47 AM »
For about two years in the late fifties I would walk past this clock up to four times a day when I worked in the Jewellery Quarter.
The whole area was such a hive of back to back and on top of small jewellery maker's 'rooms' for that is all they could be described as.
Each small business would collect all the gold shavings from off the floors and workbenches and store them in jam jars as a means of 'future prosperity'.
Doubt if much of it still exists in the form I recall. 

Rupert

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2006, 12:17:07 PM »
Bannion,
  Download Google Earth from the google site as I have done and you will be able to see the whole area in fine photogarphic detail taken by satalite. I'm not sure about the minimum system requirements but my computer is two or three years old now and not very high tech, anyway if you go into the site it will tell you what you need. You can zoom right in on the roof tops and the basic programme costs nothing. As I said to SH, if you have already done it excuse the suggestion. The clock is 37.25degrees. 19.1min N-122.05degrees. 06min W. Not all of the areas of the world are in high resolution but the Birmingham area does happen to be.
  It made me realize how little I knew about the birmingham area even though I lived there for 30 years.
Best wishes,

Graham

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 02:18:16 PM »
Hi Rupert, I have tried this http://earth.google.com/ very good thank you.

Tomorrow I go into the hospital, will be away for some weeks now, will keep you posted.

Graham.

Rupert

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2006, 03:05:11 PM »
Good LUCK in the hospital Graham. Hope you have a laptop so that you can stay in touch.

Yes Google Earth is neat. Wonder what happened to SH. Hope that entity did not have a problem.

Best Wishes.

p.s. Maybe later we can Grid Reference old places that we knew when we were kids. Looks like it was a sunny day when the Birmingham shots were taken.

sh

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2006, 11:08:11 PM »
SH
THIS FAMOUS CLOCK IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE JEWELLRY QUARTER BIRMINGHAM
AN AREA YOUR GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER POSSIBLEY WORKED IN. aNDY CAPP
[/quote

HI, Andy - I'm back - my computer has been giving me some trouble.

I'm wondering if this is the grandfather clock with the name, "Ashforth" on it; any way you can find out and let me know?

In her writings, Mother wrote that as a school boy, Robert was born "...back of Portland Place on Pigott St.....; family moved to Bridge St. (not to far(.25 mi)from Victoria Square...while living on Bridge St., Thomas (her father, son of Robert T. Ashforth) went to day school on Severn St., not too far from the old St. Thomas Church - nothing but Bell Tower standing."

I'm assuming this is where her dad was taken by his father and told to never change your name (Ashforth); apparently, the name was on the grandfather clock.

The photo looks like a grandfather clock - of sorts.

Ashforths were silversmiths; Robert T. was a master silversmith, journeyman.  He worked for others by hour, day, week, etc.

They were well to do.  They moved to Aston, 139 Gerrard Street; then they migrated to the USA in the 1880s.

I don't think I'm going to do the Google thing since my computer has been on the bum recently.  I certainly don't want to ask for trouble.'

I've got all the security application software, but still things get it - and, my programs kill the bugs.  Nevertheless, why ask for more grief?

Thanks so much for the photo.  I've been off the computer for probably a week or so. 

Thanks again, shirley haas

Rupert

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2006, 04:55:12 AM »
Hope this picture works.

sh

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2006, 01:32:11 PM »
WOW!  Thanks so very much, Ruppert.

Splendid view of Gerrard St.; looks like the housing might be newer, like condos or something - would you agree?  Or, do you think these are older housing developments?

I am vastly unfamiliar with UK - very little knowledge, indeed.

What a Blessing this is for me.  Any way to determine if the addresses could include 139 Gerrard?

If I can find out, I'll let you know.  I'm going to try to "Map it" with a program I have on my computer.

Again, many thanks.

Blessings, sh

Rupert

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2006, 02:44:19 PM »
Hi SH.
  So glad to be of assisstance. Gerrard St. runs from the right side and then diagonally down. Further down to the left it runs into a continuance called Nursary Rd. Some of the houses look like they may date back to the Victoria era, It's hard to tell. If you can find out about the approx location of the number I will zoom in on it and see whats there. Included here is a picture of the plaque on the clock(a.la. Virtual Brum). Its called the Chamberlain clock I can zoom that area too, later if you want it. Incidentally I can send excellent zooms of Bridge Street and Severn Street if you need them. You might be able to see some remnants of the Victoria era, at least you will be able to view the location.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy