Author Topic: BSA BOMBINGS WW2  (Read 27752 times)

Andy Capp

BSA BOMBINGS WW2
« on: January 10, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE TRUE ACCOUNT OF THE BOMBINGS OF THE BSA DURING WW2. I WAS TOLD THE NIGHT THE BSA GOT BOMBED PEOPLE WERE KILLED & SOME OF THE BODIES WERE NEVER RECOVERED THIS MIGHT BE A MYTH.
ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: BSA BOMBINGS WW2
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »
Andy Capp,

I heard the same story many times, as a kid.

Have you looked on this site, you may find what you want on there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:31:24 PM »
Andy Capp,

This is an excerpt from the site I mentioned in my last post.

One night the Germans looking for the BSA bombed our house instead with oil bombs, a neighbour threw water over the oil instead of sand and spread the oil and the bombers saw this dropped an explosive bomb and made a direct hit on our house taking out five houses. Not long after I left the BSA the Germans bombed the BSA killing hundreds of people burring some alive. They could not get all the bodies out so they covered them over where the lay.

The site is very interesting with some very good stories,

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Graham

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:18:23 PM »
Andy & Phil,

Here you can read more and see the names of all those that died or were involved.

http://www.madeinbirmingham.org/bsamem.htm

Graham.

nathan

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 12:37:26 AM »
andy
it is no myth.Some bodies at the B S A bombing were never recovered.
nathan

froggy

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »
I didn't know that the BSA was hit, but the story resonates with me because I was just a baby in Sparkhill in '39 and my parents took someone's advice to move away when the war started. So, other than a few stray bombs it was relatively quiet in Hall Green and our Anderson shelter. Pity those poor blighters at the factory.
My dad was a lorry driver then and said he'd delivered loads to the Spitfire factory at Castle Bromwich. It was no fun driving at night with virtually no lights on your wagon.

captblack

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 09:27:22 PM »
hello  everybody, just want to add a few thoughts on this if thats ok, like a lot of people i have heard these stories many times, my mom (who worked there during the war on ''days'' told me this story many times. so when they were knocking the place down i went ''exploring''. there are two mains things that i found.....1) the main part of the ''new building'' that was bombed (you can clearly see this in the post war rebuild) never had a basement. to confirm this i have seen some pics of this part being built during the early part of the 20th century.  so when the site was cleared then they must have cleared everything. 2) i read somewhere that it took 6 weeks to get/find the last missing person.
  BUT........ there were a few raids on the BSA during the war. was this story mixed up with another raid ?? there is no smoke without fire as they say.  if anyone is interested i would be more than happy to ''join forces'' and do some detective work. IF the story turns out to be true then surely some sort of marker/gravestone type thing should be made. if anyone can help please get in touch.
thanks

tramp

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 09:39:07 PM »
Welcome captblack,

If you have had the time to go back over this thread, you'll have seen that there have been attempts to have a memorial erected, most probably in Armoury Rd, but local councillors have shown minimal enthusiam, and worse manners by failing to reply, despite support from the MP.  I don't live in UK, so cannot suggest what you can realistically do next in practical terms.    Keep plugging away - these people richly deserve to be commemorated.

captblack

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 09:56:22 PM »
Hi tramp, yes i know of the efforts to get a memorial erected, it will happen one day, and yes shame on those MPs who never had the decency even to reply, this is a subject i have been interested in for the past 30 odd years, after my mom told me that story it has sort of stuck there in the back of my mind. if this story is true then its just the same as a group of heroes lying in some unmarked grave.not the best way to remember our fallen is it.

tramp

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 10:07:06 PM »
capt black,

It's a disgusting disgrace that Brum/WM local govt has/have never sought do anything.

This is the UK of today, and much of yesterday, sad to say.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:25:57 AM »
Hello captblack

Welcome to Birmingham forum, the trouble today with raising awareness (let alone raising funds for a memorial) to this tragedy is that most of the population of the area are immigrants and when this tragic incident took place they were not even resident in this country.

Now that is not their fault, and I place no blame against them for having no interest in the history of this country. Lets face it they are taught very little about it in our schools today.

The fault has to fall at the feet of Local Government or perhaps even Parliament. The biggest problem is that there are no votes to be gained by any action to rectify the lack of a memorial. The local population would probably look on it as a waste of public money.

No votes gained ergo no memorial.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy