Author Topic: BSA BOMBINGS WW2  (Read 27750 times)

Martin

Re: BSA BOMBINGS WW2
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 08:44:15 PM »
Hi. I am 50. I live in Shropshire. And although I left Brum when I was 5, I still have a Brummie accent! O0

Langstraat

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 09:26:33 PM »
Never mind Martin, in many respects it's preferable to a Shropshire twang O0 O0
Many accents are fixed by the age of 5.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

tramp

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 10:47:39 PM »
Martin,

Thanks for your informative reply.  A Brummie accent is distinctive so I hope you're proud of it :).  Like you, I've been away very many years, but overseas most of the time, and mine was lost through mediation with others in various countries.  I can still ''do a Brummie'' accent, and I used to enjoy doing many others for fun when I lived in English speaking countries.  In US, I used to do the accents of states or regions I wasn't in, and we all had laugh.   

Martin

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 05:17:07 PM »
Never mind Martin, in many respects it's preferable to a Shropshire twang O0 O0
Many accents are fixed by the age of 5./quote]

I sometimes do have a Shropshire tinge to my speaking. "Ow bist, jockey!"and so on. But My Brummie accent still comes out. Especially if I am a bit drunk!

And yes, tramp, I am proud of my Brummie speech!  O0

tomhaywood

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 12:15:52 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am a postgrad at the University of Birmingham and am putting together a documentary film about the campaign for a memorial to the BSA, through which I will look at the the history of the BSA, it's vital war work and the air raids.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who worked, or had relatives that worked at the BSA around the time of the airraids, or anyone else who might have witnessed the raids or the aftermath. If you feel you might be able to participate in my project in any way then please do contact me, either by email at [email protected] or by phone on 07810 092186.

'froggy', 'captblack', 'tramp', 'phil47', 'jacqueline', and 'martin', if any of you could contact me it would be much appreciated, as it would seem from this thread you have stories to tell of the BSA, or have a keen interest in the memorial campaign.

Yours,

Thomas Haywood

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 01:17:25 PM »
tomhaywood

Hello and welcome, As glad as I am to hear of anyone doing anything that helps inform the rest of this country (and the world) and lets it be known of  the huge contribution of this City to industry.

I am afraid that my meagre knowledge on this subject would be of little use to you, as I have no personal knowledge at all. The only memories I have of the BSA are playing on the waste land at the rear of the factory alongside the canal.

I am sure that some of the others you have mentioned will be of much more assistance than I. Have you tried these two sites as they are a wealth of information and very helpful

http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/index.php

http://www.madeinbirmingham.org/

Let me take this opportunity to wish you the very best of luck in your endeavour.

Phil

I will forward a copy of this posting to your email address.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oldbrowny

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »
Hi All  I have just been reading a few of the messages re the ombing etc and the cafe on the corner of Golden Hillock Rd.
I worked at BSAfrom 1948 till 1957 and have been in touch with a couple of the other tesers  who worked there at the same time. I left BSA in 1957 for Australia where I bought a run down Motorcycle buisness and sold some BSA bikes from there/
Getting back to the BSA factory  I often wonderd about how the damge was caused by 2 bombs as while I worked there  I saw them cleaning up the ends that were damaged and it was a gigantic task  as the pillars were very thick and very heavily re-inforced.
 Strangely enough very little was said about the bombing .
Before getting on the test job I worked in the gearbox shop and the assembly line.  I would like to hear from anyone who knows of any of the testers beside  Ken Cornish and Lou Dalby I do know Peter Rose has abuisness in Hall green  but dont know of any of thers, There were 16 of us at one time  Cheers for now  oldbrowny

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 02:55:07 PM »
Hi oldbrowny

You are welcome to another Antipodean here on Birmingham Forum as long as you are not related to our inglorious PM Gordon Brown you are most welcome. There are one or two on here that have a little knowledge of the BSA so you might get to hear something. Until then join in with the chat.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oldbrowny

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »
 Thank you Phil for your welcoming remarks.. I have sent an email to Tom Haywood offering any help I can give but my time at BSA did not start till 1948  so my knowledge of the bombings was very limited.
 I see a picture posted of the cafe on the corner and was often in there . There was another shop about halfway down Armoury Rd  which sent over a lot of goodies to eat during Smoko times. I will brows thru the posts and get back later with some comments  . Cheers Oldbrowny PS  I just hit the browse button to se what happened and I see that I can send some pics on. I will get into that side of things a little later.......Old browny

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 10:48:27 PM »
oldbrowny

Thats the spirit, I'm sure Tom Haywood will be grateful of any information about the BSA around that time. Something you may think to be of no consequence may be of great interest to him.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oldbrowny

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 12:22:07 AM »
HI phil and all  I have a book here called The Giants of Small Heath./It is ahistory of the BSA empire and is very well done . Has a lot of Pics and ffor anyone who is BSA minded  you can probably get a copy from the B.Ham Library to read . It is written by Barry Ryerson   Published by Haynes Group and the ISBN No is   ISBN O 85429  255  1  I think there is some refernce in in to the bombing  so I will have to have another look at it myself. Lou Dalby who I mentioned before in a post was the young man who teseted all of the Bantams . . He has a website and some good pics etc . His forbears were active motorcyclists and won a few awards etc . Cheers Oldbrowny

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy