Author Topic: Carrier-bag lady  (Read 41349 times)

townie

Carrier-bag lady
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:26:33 PM »
I have read several books and quite a few of them refer to the carrier bag lady outside Woolworths / Bullring. She used to sell brown paper bags.I think I can just remember a person but not sure. Did anyone know who this Lady was, even better did anyone know her name or where she lived.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Carrier-bag lady
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:34:29 PM »
hi den the old lady could be found on the steps up to the fish market all most by the bomb  I did not know her name but I did get her a penny cup of tea a few times on a Saturday you could hear her cry all over the bull ring Andy Andy Andy carriers brown paper bags cost one old penny the years 1951 of that im a 100% sure
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

townie

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »
Thanks Roy. Hopefully someone, someday might read this and say I knew that Lady and shed some light. Now that's what I would call a Birmingham Forum done and dusted.  Old Birmingham what the forum is about. O0

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 10:09:15 PM »
hi den yes its a good post hope you can find out more about this lady she was always in black with a thin pointed face but had dark skin I'm not sure of this but I think she had a clay pipe I may be wrong on that it was a long time a go  at that time I had a bit of a Saturday job getting the tea for the barrow boys  on the market and going round to the sorting yard  I would get a bag of veg and a bit of fruit and a few Penny's to take home that was always welcome in our house
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »
Dennis

The Andy Carrier Lady I'm told was blind and although I'm old enough to remember hearing her on a Saturday afternoon up the Bull Ring and can remember seeing her I'm not old enough to remember much about her. Although I should because I lived quite close to her at one time in Balsall Heath.

So I'm told again she lived down a steep inclined terrace off Wenman Street next to the Crown Inn public house the official name of the terrace was Mount Pleasant but it was better known to the locals as The Glory Hole.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 10:50:25 PM »
The lady being blind rings a bell and I don't mean that derogative. I wonder if professor Carl Chinn would know. What a great scoop for Birmingham Forum that would be. God  I sound like a person who knows what there talking about frightening.  O0   

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
Dennis

I'll send you a link to one of Carl Chinn's sites where he discusses Birmingham Characters. What you have to realise about Carl Chinn is that most of his knowledge of Birmingham comes from books as he is far too young to remember some of the things he talks about.

He was born in 1956 so by the time he was old enough to start amassing memories of his own in the early 60's most of old Birmingham had gone. Like all of us that learn from books he gets things wrong quite often, but then I put most of those mistakes down to his researchers as I think that if nothing else Carl is full of good intention and a love of Birmingham. but I wish he wouldn't use that awful false accent.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 08:38:27 PM »
I am hoping that someone on this forum may know the identification of the Carrier bag seller. She must have been a Mom, Grandmother, Aunt. Friend of someone you know, or even a neighbour when you were young. She may have lived down a steep inclined terrace off Wenman Street next to the Crown Inn public house, the official name of the terrace was Mount Pleasant but it was better known to the locals as The Glory Hole. Balsall heath. Can anyone help. Phil could you put up a photo of the Crown Inn it might jog someone's memory.   

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 09:06:18 PM »
Dennis

I'll go one better, I'll put you a photo of The Crown Inn and also one of Mount Pleasant Terrace.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 09:10:04 PM »
Nice one Phil Thanks That's not her is it?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 09:53:32 PM »
Dennis

I don't think so, mind you as far as I can remember she looks similar, but I don't think she is blind as she appears to be looking at the camera.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy