Author Topic: Carrier-bag lady  (Read 41357 times)

Minny

Re: Carrier-bag lady
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »
The photo was was taken in 1953 ...at my auntie wedding
If it is from a newspaper then the accompanying text would be very useful.

townie

« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
Can anyone put a date or year on the last time you remember seeing the carrier bag lady selling her wears outside the Bullring.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

gravon42

« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »
Just joined this forum! I used to go shopping every Saturday 'up town' with my parents. I remember
the bag lady very well. She was not blind, but had a black patch over one eye. I remember the strong
man who used to break out of shackles,  just by Nelsons Column (Its original position).  The Midland
Red terminus was outside St.Martins church.  All alongside Woolworths were barrows selling all manner
of goods.  The steps outside 'Woollies' were on such a slope that there were about 15 steps one end,
and about 3 the other end!  Happy days!
One life - live it!

a.blong

« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2014, 07:39:23 AM »
Hi all I'm glad townie has put something up for me about the hady carrier  Nellie (nel) my great grandmother  I know she passed away in 1964 , we looking for a yr that she left the bullring as a handy carrier and the last place she live was cattell road  Birmingham  and b4 that was at eddish road
If any one can help I would be greatful , if I can find what yr.i be coming bk up the midlands to the libary  to get the news paper she was in. As the last handy carrier  one I get that I can put on here to share with you. Also my uncle is sorting another photo out so I can put it on here ,then hopefully u can reconizise her I did put a phot on here it's not very good  but she was a small lady with no teeth and
My uncle  took me to different places on Saturday I really enjoy my day in the midlands. Even took me to where my dad lived  at lea ford road and the school he went too. And went to yardley crem to see where my grandad was which my uncle didn't even know. Thanks to Shelley at yardley crem
Sorry to bore you xx O0 ;D

planetmalc

« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »
Daffodil Lady outside closed market Monday 1st April 14

Yesterday, I helped the daffodil lady stash her wares in the market after she'd finished for the day and told her she was famous 'cos her picture's on the internet! O0
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

frederick

« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »
planetmalc,
How did she react to that    :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

planetmalc

« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2014, 04:02:13 PM »
planetmalc,
How did she react to that    :)

She said, "I didn't know, I don't go on the Internet." (Actually, I was surprised she even gave me a reply, given that she's famous and I'm just an ex-Small Heath toe-rag!) ;D

ajaybee

« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2014, 05:07:47 PM »
re last time remembered .....I used to go train spotting on Saturdays at new street....went via the bull ring...that sound still haunts me when I remember old brum....must have been 1958 last time I went....can still hear the echoes walking round there now

planetmalc

« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
re last time remembered .....I used to go train spotting on Saturdays at new street....went via the bull ring...that sound still haunts me when I remember old brum....must have been 1958 last time I went....can still hear the echoes walking round there now

Can you still 'smell' Bell Street (up the left-hand side of the Market Hall on the way to the station)?

ajaybee

« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »
it always smelt of rotting food....all the way down queens drive

townie

« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2014, 07:48:48 PM »
Reply 24.
That is definitely the carrier bag lady. I have just watched a film from 1935 and yes its her. Would anyone have an idea of the age of this lady in 1935? I know people aged quicker in them days, but I can remember the same lady in about 1960.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy