Author Topic: poolway shopping centre  (Read 21754 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: poolway shopping centre
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
Hi Kendo

Welcome to you, I'm no expert on the area other than I used to drink in the Meadway occasionally so perhaps you can tell me where the pool was where the Poolway Shopping Centre was built.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Kendo

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2015, 04:53:46 PM »
Hi Phil nice Webb very interesting ,with regard to the pool near to where the shopping centre is  was only about 10 years old in 1948 so it's  a long time ago but there was a large pond on the field wher the pool way shops are I had a look on google earth and see that there's still a field there ,I only had to walk around the corner of Hadland Road cross over Blakenhale Road and onto the field ,my Mom didn't know I was over there or she wouldn't let me out ,not sure if that's how poolway shops is so called regards Kendo

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2015, 06:34:47 PM »
Hi Kendo

Back in the 30's and probably well before that there was a Lane that ran from Church Rd to The Lea. This Lane passed close to Kents Moat just about where Broadstone Rd & Sheldon Heath Rd meet now. On either side of that mark there was a pond, I have no way of knowing if these were the pools that you mention, but by 1950 before the Poolway Shopping centre was built they both disappear from the maps.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mand365

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 09:01:38 AM »
hi all,does anyone remember the old library or it might have been a community centre that was located on lea hall road many years ago.

Tom and Shirley

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2015, 09:39:32 PM »
Hi Chuckleberry I'm new to the forum. I also lived in the flats in Admington Road 1954 to 1970. Do you remember Jennifer or Linda Carpenter, Susan or Raina Mills or the Williams family. My name was Shirley Evans and I have brothers Melvin and Terry. We all went to Blakenhale then Sheldon Heath Comp.

planetmalc

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 04:21:02 PM »
I also lived in the flats in Admington Road 1954 to 1970.

Did you know Carol Percer (small, with black hair worn in a bob, born late 40's)?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Suz

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 11:54:35 PM »
I lived in Compton House and my first job was at The Poolway chemist, called John Bryant back then. Met my husband who was then working at the green grocers which I think was called Jordan's. I went to Whittington Oval primary and Cockshut Hill secondary school. Such fond memories of that time and place.

mand365

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 10:33:27 AM »
hi all.does anyone remember vince the ice cream man.he was always happy and I remember hardly any kid went away without an ice cream.he always use to make all us kids laugh.he was so funny.ill never forget him and his Italian brummie accent.

townie

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 08:13:11 PM »
mand365 What year are you talking about? I remember an ice-cream man coming down Broadstone road in a little van. I think it was McNabbs. And I believe, if it was McNabbs that they are still going in Garretts Green. It was a little red and white van.  :)   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

mand365

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2016, 08:53:59 PM »
hi townie.vince used to come around late sixties and throughout the seventies.he used to have a yellow van,if my memory serves me right,with vince written on it.all us kids used to wait for him to come because his ice cream was the best and he was so funny.we all loved him.i lived in kelynmead road.

townie

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 10:28:45 PM »
mand 365 No im going back to late 50s. My Mom and Dad were offered a house in kelynmead road, even at that young age of about 5, I can still remember going to view it. But Mom and Dad decided to move to Shard End instead. We used to walk down kelynmead road every time we went to my Nans, who lived in Fontley close. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy