Author Topic: poolway shopping centre  (Read 21903 times)

jerryandtom

poolway shopping centre
« on: March 10, 2014, 09:22:44 PM »
Does any one remember the old poolway, woolworths

townie

Re: poolway shopping centre
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »
Hi Jerry I remember the Poolway shops and Woolworths. I was born just down the road at Fontley Close.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:10:40 PM »
I can't remember Woolworths in the Poolway, in fact I only remember the overhead pedestrian walkway over the Meadway that led to the precinct and the closest I ever got to it was the Meadway public house.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 12:16:31 AM »
Phil That photo you posted Woolworths was on the left with a walkway through to the car park.

peter2001

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 08:24:23 AM »
is it knocked down now ? You turn your back and they knock something down and build a supermarket. Like the swan, sheldon, shirley.

I know they knocked down the block of flats, and something at the side of the poolway. I remember it had a woolies, but it had lots of shops. The photo is from the corner by the buchers, if I remember right, woolies would be on the right hand run of shops.

Chuckleberry

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 09:16:55 AM »
I remember it so well as it was my first paid job. I worked there on a Friday evening and all day Saturday 1975-76 starting on the pick & mix counter before reaching the dizzy heights of the tills! Good times as I was still at school I earned £7:50!! I grew up in the area spending my early years in Donnington House and going to Blakenhale JMI  :)

Valerie

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 11:22:21 PM »
I remember the old poolway very well I worked in the hairdressers there for a few years  Kath and Gordon Bunn owned it  shop was split  , half ladies ,half gents  it was next to a chemist   there was also a gas show room there on the corner

jerryandtom

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 07:13:47 PM »
Does anyone remember the fountain, my mun still lives in blakenhale road, went over to shops other week what a dump.

townie

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »
I remember the bench in the middle but can't remember any fountain and I was born in Fontley Close just down the road from the Poolway shops. But I may be wrong it was a long time ago.

jerryandtom

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 08:50:57 PM »
We moved there around 1967, thought it was verynice , played inthe park most days.

elaine1

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »
i remember the bags of broken biscuits at woolworths.i also remember the fountain before it became a seating area.i can also remember peter so goods,the record shop, axfords the newsagent,bill the bandit supermarket,cannings furniture,wimbush,braggs and baines the bakers,heynes butchers,roberts the hardware shop to name a few.my name was mandy hiley then.happy days ,.wish i could go back.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy