Author Topic: poolway shopping centre  (Read 21750 times)

townie

Re: poolway shopping centre
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2016, 02:35:57 PM »

Ive put this under Pool Way as it was the nearest place. Does anyone have any memories or photos of the old field or of the invalids home that was built on it. Before the home was built I remember there was only one tree on the field. Ive looked on the internet but cant find anything. My nan used to work at the invalids home. I remember the people driving out in their mobility cars them blue ones with a bar as the steering. Don't know what is there now as I haven't been down their for many years.
Thanks townie.     
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Jacko

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2016, 07:30:47 PM »
The site at 50 Broadstone Road is now "Heartlands Care Home" and has 76 bedrooms.  Speciality care is provided mainly for Dementia patients, regards, John.

townie

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2016, 07:54:53 PM »
Hi John I've looked at the Heartlands Care Home on Broadstone Road it certainly didn't look like that when I was around there in the 60s. Do you know if the church is still next to the entrance I cant see on the photos as there is a massive tree in the way.

Jacko

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2016, 08:26:46 PM »
I went along the Meadway today but didn't see your reply until just now.  The demolition people are working at the rear of the church on what's left of the old "Spastic " place and the photo was taken in 2015 (Google ). I will check on the church for you next time I pass, probably next week, regards, John.

townie

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2016, 04:03:58 PM »
Thanks Jako, John, We used to play in that church when we were kids late 50s.

mw0njm

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2019, 11:23:59 AM »
Ive put this under Pool Way as it was the nearest place. Does anyone have any memories or photos of the old field or of the invalids home that was built on it. Before the home was built I remember there was only one tree on the field. Ive looked on the internet but cant find anything. My nan used to work at the invalids home. I remember the people driving out in their mobility cars them blue ones with a bar as the steering. Don't know what is there now as I haven't been down their for many years.
Thanks townie.   
yer i remember them.driving out, in front of other cars on the road.not caring,only who gets out first

mw0njm

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »
I left in 2000, when there was a  neighbourhood office there. now  there is nothing. anyone got a pic please of the site now

mw0njm

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2019, 11:36:57 AM »
I remember the old poolway very well I worked in the hairdressers there for a few years  Kath and Gordon Bunn owned it  shop was split  , half ladies ,half gents  it was next to a chemist   there was also a gas show room there on the corner
i remember the hairdressers next to braggs.

Tonyh

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2019, 03:28:01 PM »
I remember when the Co-op was opened by Michael Holliday who was at No.1 in the hit parade with 'The Story of My Life' which was no.1 in the charts 1958.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy