Author Topic: Looking for family  (Read 4311 times)

townie

Looking for family
« on: March 11, 2014, 04:10:27 PM »
Hi everyone I am trying to find where my mom was born, as I have no one else to ask. Her name was Dorothy May Woodward..Fathers name James, Mothers name May, Brother name James, I think she was born in Landor Street, Vauxhall early 1930s Thanks if anyone can help.   O0
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

jamesm

Re: Looking for family
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:07:30 PM »
There are birth ecords for a Dorothy May Woodward born in Birmingham 1926, mother's maiden name Holland and also for Dorothy May Woodward bn. Birmingham 1931 mother's maiden name Allen. Also listed is a death record for a Dorothy Woodward bn.25/3/1928 who died in April or May 2001. I don't know if any of these may be of help to you. Good luck in your search

townie

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 02:52:51 PM »
Thanks jamesm Dorothy May Woodward bn. Birmingham 1931 mother's maiden name Allen That's the one jamesm does it give an address. Thanks again Dennis.

mikejee

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »
Dennis
The only way to be sure where she was born was by getting the birth certificate, though then it would probably be at home. James & May are shown on the electoral rolls of 1920, 1935 and 1939 as living at 2 Westminster Terrace, Landor St. the map below shows Westminster Terrace houses in red, just to the east of the junction of Landor St and Adderley Road. As the street numbering starts at the east end of the street, I would guess that no 2 would be the second house in on the right hand side.

townie

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
Thanks mikejee. Now I know where she was born and where my Nan and Grandad lived. I shall have a drive around the area, and try and get an impression of the way they lived. Also I can check books for any photos. Thanks again mikejee.

townie

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »
Does anyone know?  If I'm coming from Adderley Road was Westminster Terrace, Landor St, on the left and how far up the road was it. My street atlas of 1972 don't show the terraces. Thanks Dennis.  O0

mikejee

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 07:10:14 PM »
Dennis
Adderley Road is the road going up on the map, to the right of the union paper mills. So, if you come down Adderley Road and turn right at the junction, then it would be the second terrace along.  Below the route is shown as a red line

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 07:18:30 PM »
Thanks Mike I was just about to reply but now you have explained I'll just say that on the corner od Adderley Rd South stood the Britannia Public House, behind that there was a terrace and then all the other terraces followed on down the street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
I would like to thank all the people that have helped me trace my moms birth place. I know I'm thick but I haven't been around that area for about 45 years. If i turn right off Adderley Road into Landor Street is that pub on the left and the terraces were behind it.   

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 07:49:04 PM »
Dennis

That's correct, but neither the pub or the terraces are there anymore, just a factory unit.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 07:56:19 PM »
That's ok thanks everybody I'll have a drive around there next Wednesday just to have a look.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy