Author Topic: Winson Green - execution 1918 - refugee?  (Read 4896 times)

marc from flanders

Winson Green - execution 1918 - refugee?
« on: January 15, 2008, 11:08:14 PM »
Yep,
I don't know if my topic is on the right board.

In April 1918 hangman John Ellis from Rochdale and his assistant George Brown hung LOUIS VAN DE(R) KERKHOVE at Birmingham (Winson Green) Prison who had stabbed to death his lady-friend, CLEMENTINE VERELST (VERELIST – typing error?), in an hotel room.
This man and his girlfriend have a common Belgian (Flemish) name, so I think both could be Belgian refugees from the war 1914-1918.
A search in the Times Index and the Daily Mirror has not given a result.  Maybe the local papers covered it.
Anybody can tell me or more about this man and woman or this case. Or can you give me a hint where to find more?
Anyone can help me?
Thanks in advance
Marc from Flanders

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Winson Green - execution 1918 - refugee?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 11:36:55 PM »
Marc

Have you tried any of John Ellis's books, I understand that he wrote a couple and I think I remember reading one a few years back.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:31:58 PM »
Marc

The books I mentioned are Diary of a Hangman by John Ellis, and The Rochdale Hangman and his Victims by Jack Doughty.

I remember that Ellis kept detailed records of all his executions, but quite what and who I do not remember, as I read quite a few similar books at that time.

I suppose you could try the archives of the courts of where your subjects trial took place.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Oscar

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »
Marc,

This could be a good site but i think you have to pay.

http://www.murderfiles.com/

Oscar

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 12:13:57 AM »
Marc,

I contacted the link and got this reply:

"I do not have any presscuttings on this case but I have found an article in a reputable crime book . Louis Van De Kerkhove murdered Clemence Verelst in Room 10, Shaftesbury Hotel, Station Street, Birmingham.The Trial took place on 18 March 1918. The article gives all the basic details of the case and from this you would be able to go to the local Birmingham papers for further information.
If you want a copy of the article let me know. Say £5 would cover my time, postage and copying?
Over to you.
Regards
Paul

You could try the main Library for these dated details.

Oscar

marc from flanders

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 10:11:17 PM »
Thanks Phil and Oscar for your help. 

Yes Oscar, your message pm  arrived this afternoon (13.49 belgian time).  After that I read it sunday, I contact you.
Marc from Flanders

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 08:25:33 PM »
phil just out of intrest what was the date of the last hanging in brum nick was it late 50s or early 60s i seem to remember a crowd out side when passing on the bus i think it was the number 8
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 08:57:48 PM »
Roy,

I'm not sure of the exact date, but I will find out for you. What I do know is In November 1962 Jamaican Oswald Grey 20 years of age paid the ultimate penalty for shooting to death and robbing newsagent Thomas Bates in Lee Bank Rd. As soon as I know more I will let you know.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:01:04 PM »
Roy

It was November 20th 1962

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy