Author Topic: A little bit of Birmingham  (Read 33477 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
A little bit of Birmingham
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »
I thought would start this thread so anyone who wishes to could share some of the rarely seen photo's of any part of Birmingham they may wish to share with us.

I'll start the ball rolling with these two, and ask mazbeth as she must have walked down this hill a thousand times or more, does it still look the same today.

Phil O0 ;D
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

Re: A little bit of Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 11:41:47 AM »
no it's quite different now. Am amazed at the number of cars in the first one.
Trying to work out what's different....opposite the pub I don't think there are shops now, but can't remember what there is.

The 2nd one...wondering if that was the stretch (on the left) that the old sweet shop was in...they were still selling sweets from big jars in the 90's when my kids were little.
I think it may have been an elderly sister and brother running it, and he had another business next door, but can't remember what that was now.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

nathan

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »
Phil
You may find this one interesting
nathan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 01:44:40 PM »
Nathan

I know that factory well, Montgomery Street is only a five minute walk from one of my old addresses. I think the plaque is a quite recent addition. The trouble with Birmingham is we don't make enough noise about our commercial history.

Half the industrial processes in the world wouldn't be here today if it hadn't been for Birmingham.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:54:13 PM »
mazbeth

Edward Road in the sixties was quite a bustling place, it was a hive of shops and commercial activity. It was also one of the main roads used to cut through from Bristol Rd to Moseley Rd. In fact when I was last down there I was surprised how quiet it was.

I think opposite the Coach and Horses on the corner of Mary St is where they built the church to replace St Paul's on Moseley Rd when they demolished it another crime against architecture.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »
John,

Just a little snippet for you, I think the first photo would have been took from outside the Medina Cafe and if you look downhill can see on the left hand side on the corner of Lincoln St the Anark Ali Cafe where you used to go for cheap dinners or so you say, but as the place was a haunt of working girls it makes me pause for thought.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

nathan

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 09:20:46 PM »
Phil
I know the factory well, I just finished 24 years 11 months 2 weeks working there
In 1995 lanchester cars from all europe came to re enter the place where they where built on the 100th aniversery of starting ,I hadn't got a camera then.We all have regrets hey.
nathan

mazbeth

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 09:35:03 PM »
yes, I forgot the church is there now...

Just been looking through my photobucket album...can't remember where some of these come from even...

the tornado of 2005

Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 03:25:43 PM »
Mazbeth

The bottom photo, is that a view of Birmingham?  I don't recognise it, do you remember where it was took from?. Here's one for the person who couldn't remember when the Nature Centre on Pershore Rd was a zoo. (I'm too idle to look back and find out who it was).

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 04:02:43 PM »
Mazbeth

The bottom photo, is that a view of Birmingham?  I don't recognise it, do you remember where it was took from?.
I might have got that from the BBC or ITV site after the tornado.
Yes, it's B'ham skyline as the tornado was brewing...
looks like the back of town to me, or maybe around the Broad St. new Mailbox area...from a roof or something.

I never knew that the nature centre was a zoo either, but I've only lived on this side of B'ham since '86. Maybe my mom will remember as she used to take us to Cannon Hill Park in the 60's.

tramp

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:18:09 AM »
Phil,

it was a  sad and bad surprise to read what you wrote about St Paul's
''I think opposite the Coach and Horses on the corner of Mary St is where they built the church to replace St Paul's on Moseley Rd when they demolished it another crime against architecture.'' Why did they do that, I remember it as lovely building........still, I saw that they wanted to demolish the swimming baths too....that would've been another crime, I learned to swim there.  The baths and library next door were/are very fine buildings, and they were both a great escape and enjoyment for me up till I was 13 and moved away for most of the year.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy