Author Topic: A little bit of Birmingham  (Read 33469 times)

mazbeth

Re: A little bit of Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 08:54:08 AM »
old buildings wear out and and people don't have the money to support them, as they quite understandably prefer to spend the money on people.

The 'new' Anglican church St. Pauls on Edward Rd/Mary St. shares a building with the U.R.C. church and together they run a service for elderly people in the area which offers lunches and visiting etc...so they needed more modern and warm and practical facilities for loos, a kitchen and hygiene etc.

Church buildings are being used every day of the week, in some cases, to serve the community, so they do need practical buildings, as with the baptist one further down where we were married and my husband has gone back to recently.
I really think those who are actively part of them know what's needed.
They have a job centre in the church hall there and other things.

Tramp, the Moseley Rd. swimming baths needs millions (maybe 13 iirc) to restore...and much less to build a new one.
The money would have to come from the council...which comes from householders council tax.
What should be done?
Many find it too high already.

my kids prefer going to [censored] Moor Woods leisure centre for swimming, in Kings Heath, as it's more modern and cleaner with more facilities.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Mikey

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 09:23:22 AM »
Must be some Villa supporters out there . . . here's an old pic of Villa Park.
I am not young enough to know everything

Mikey

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 09:36:48 AM »
. . . and here's a pic of the car that we went to Villa Park in. Another bit of Birmingham history.
I am not young enough to know everything

tramp

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Mikey,

Thanks, a very nostalgic photohraph, as I had an Austin 10 with a similar plate no. BOX 916.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 12:59:06 PM »
Mazbeth,

The Birmingham Zoo opened on the 22nd of April 1964, and operated for a number of years before it became the Birmingham Nature Centre. I have no idea why it ceased to operate as a zoo. It might have been operating costs.

Tramp

I had a quick look through my picture collection for a photo of St Paul's, although I have one I thought you might prefer this quick sketch I did instead (I've been known to tell lies).

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 01:08:38 PM »
Phil,

Thank you, it's very good.

You are very gifted..

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »
mazbeth

One of the last jobs I had anything to do with before I retired was the renovation of what used to be known as the small pool. We played a very minor part in the renovation. The cost for completely renovating this part of the building (about a fifth of the total size) did not amount to a fraction of what they are saying the other four fifths will cost to renovate.

I think it is Birmingham Councils old ploy, when they don't want to do something they over estimate the cost of repair and say "we can't afford that". The next step is to neglect the building until it falls into a state of disrepair and then say. "Its a danger to the public, we'll have to demolish it". (I know a bit about that"

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 01:20:21 PM »
Phil, it's the Balsall Heath forum and the St. Paul's community, using the Heathan Community magazine who have been finding out these details.

I don't have the time or energy to get involved.
I do understand the sentimental feeling attached to these things. But I guess I have to be very practical in my life and that influences many things.

But I think it's a great shame  ;) that when I am famous  8) my birthplace, Heathfield Rd Hospital cannot be viewed as it was knocked down yonks ago.

P.S. on that subject, almost 18 years ago (on Saturday), this place gave me the worst time of my life.

Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »
mazbeth

You know that you that you would not give one hair of your sons head to have rid yourself of the slightest spasm of that pain (well not looking back at least).

Balsall Heath Forum, thats the one that thinks it has no past and only harps on about what it has achieved now. I like to see people get on and achieve things, but I also think that they should acknowledge the past.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »
Mazbeth... my mom had the same problem many years ago, yes I to was born at the Sorrento Hospital, I pasted the last time I was in the UK, they had pulled it down and built an old peoples home there..sad, but that life, nothing lasts forever..

John 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

mazbeth

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 01:58:05 PM »
I'm not too keen on the Balsall heath forum - stopped going to their meetings a while ago...
things can be done through them which are ok...but it's complicated. I won't say any more.

Yes John, they've changed the Sorrento also.
It's a shame they got rid of the smaller hospitals...people like us, without cars, don't want to have to go to the Q.E. for most things.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy