Author Topic: A little bit of Birmingham  (Read 33504 times)

Jacqueline

Re: A little bit of Birmingham
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »
Maz, I was born at Lordswood another long gone location. However my kids were all born at Birmingham materernity [Q.E] between 74 and 85 and i cannot give them enough praise.

Mikey

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »
Some terrific photos of old Brum at this site:

<http://www.pbase.com/beppuu>
I am not young enough to know everything

mazbeth

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 07:54:25 PM »
I feel sad looking at this one, remembering walking down Park Lane in the dark with mom or dad to get fish and chips and mushy peas at the chip shop that was where the foreground of this picture is

http://www.pbase.com/beppuu/image/35086925
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

mazbeth

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
my dad worked here (as a driver) in the early 70's

http://www.pbase.com/beppuu/image/44883791

great picture
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »
mazbeth

You will know these three scenes then.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 09:11:46 PM »
yes, the first one we used to walk up there to get to the dentist, and also there was another chip shop on Potters' Hill that mom used to send me with 6d to get stuff from.

john2000

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »
Mazbeth.....I was home for a short time, looking the photos, yes. it was yeasterday, when I was young......John 2000

Great photos O0
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 03:34:01 PM »
Some of you will be pleased that tonight's Birmingham Mail carries a story saying that the Tower Ballroom is to reopen by Easter at the latest.

So John of you are floating around out there in the ether, then you will be able to nick back to collect your socks and your lady nurse friend will be able to retrieve her knickers. So its good news all round.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mikey

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 07:35:40 PM »
Well spotted Phil and what good news it is. Waaaaay back in the late 50s and early 60s, my wife and I used to go there often. What springs immediately to mind was the revolving stage the Tower had then. Of course, it was the era of the "big bands" and it was exciting to listen, watch and dance as one band was playing and the stage would revolve with another band picking up the current number and slowly coming into view. As I recall there were tables and chairs in the centre of the floor (which was very large) and tables and chairs around the perimeter, so the dancing area was the space between the two, kind of a very big O– not that Roy Orbison ever came! Each band had a vocalist and they were excellent. Oh, those Saturday nights at the ballroom. We used to go dancing every weekend, alternating between the Tower, The Embassy Ballroom and The Westend Ballroom. Occasionally we would break the routine and go to the White Horse at Henley, much smaller, but they used to serve supper down there, usually hot roast beef sandwiches. Yum!
I am not young enough to know everything

mazbeth

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
Birmingham 1816

tramp

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 08:13:10 PM »
Phil & Mazbeth,

Thanks for the excellent pictures.  Does anyone remember Mazbeth's picture being drawn?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy