Author Topic: A little bit of Birmingham  (Read 33476 times)

mazbeth

Re: A little bit of Birmingham
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2008, 11:43:04 PM »
we've lived in a few road in Balsall Heath Phil, in the last 20 years...the 'joys' (NOT) of having to rent privately (as we had to before this one).
You would move in, re-carpet, re-paint...my hubbie would do any electrical things and other stuff that needed fixing, and then when the 6 or 12 month shorthold tenancy agreement was coming to an end the landlords would say they wanted to sell and we had to keep finding new places...
the one in Hollycot Gardens (that I mentioned some weeks ago), we were there only 6 months...and I liked that too, as it was fairly quiet..
Lincoln St only 12 months, although it dragged on an extra 2 before we could find somewhere else...

Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

tramp

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2008, 12:59:38 AM »
Mazbeth,

Do you get the impression that some landlords use shorthold tenancies as methods of getting their properties partly refurbished at no cost so that they are able to obtain a higher rental next time?   I ask as  I am ignorant of current UK laws etc in this respect having not lived there for almost 11 years.

mazbeth

« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2008, 07:37:36 AM »
Mazbeth,

Do you get the impression that some landlords use shorthold tenancies as methods of getting their properties partly refurbished at no cost so that they are able to obtain a higher rental next time? 
yes, this is what was so annoying...and even if they were planning to sell it is us who have paid for and fitted carpets and done other improvements.
so many problems...all because we can't choose as we can't get a mortgage.

we've been where we are over 7 years now, (as it's long term housing association), which is the longest anywhere...in 2000 it was the 10th move since my son, our first child, had been born 10 years prior to that.

I wouldn't reccommend private renting to anyone, unless you're assured it can be long term (like my brother has).
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

tramp

« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »
Mazbeth,

It is good to hear that you are much more settled after having to move so frequently. may it continue for as long as you wish it to do.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2008, 05:45:21 PM »
mazbeth

you must have a little Romany blood in you, that enables you to cope with all the moving.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2008, 10:47:10 AM »
Sorted these out for Jasper & Mikey. I think you should recognise them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2008, 12:37:46 PM »
mazbeth

you must have a little Romany blood in you, that enables you to cope with all the moving.

Phil
who knows  :D
well, I haven't coped really...it's like many things...we do what we have to at the time...especially when we have young children who need looking after...but then it catches up with us one day...as the stress has with me.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2008, 07:39:27 PM »
mikey

hows about these two pubs  then, you must recognise them.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mikey

« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2008, 07:57:24 PM »
Phil,

Sure do recognise them, a real blast from the past. Thanks mate.   ;D
I am not young enough to know everything

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy