Author Topic: Hello...  (Read 6027 times)

Tonto

Hello...
« on: April 03, 2006, 10:46:45 PM »
Just thought I'd introduce myself and say "Hi" to what I shall assume are fellow Brummies

bossd

Re: Hello...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 08:53:16 PM »
Hi
The world is yours

Bannion

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 07:36:53 AM »
HO!

Now we have got the formalities over where to now?

spyro2000

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 06:30:41 PM »
Safe
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Bannion

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 07:08:21 PM »
Are there any of us still living within the Brum boundries?
From reading the spiel on here I would think not.

For my part I left Brum for the South Coast some thirty odd years ago and have lived down here longer than I lived in Brum.
My knowledge of the City is negligible these days.  Should I return I would have to get a new AZ street guide for the changes that have been made would make me a stranger in my old city.
My memories are of steam trains at New Street and Snow Hill and the trams along the Bristol Road.   Of the turbo propped aircraft flying from Elmdon.
Yes if I came back I would have to get a guide to see the city as it is now.
But for all I have lived down here all that time this is not my real home.  My real home is a place I know very little about these days.   

john2000

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 08:16:02 PM »
Bannion, Its sad but true, almost nothing of the old Birmingham is left now there new modern type of appartments, new houses that cost an arm and a leg to buy/rent, you have to go out of the centre to find the old places, most of the south side of Brum has gone, what houses that are left they have given to people who cant paint, even some of the new houses ( 10-15 years old type) need a coat of paint, there are too much open spaces so the place looks empty you dont even see a stray cat, .................... A man from another time.. :'(
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Graham

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 09:46:35 PM »
Hi everyone!

I've had a CT scan today, now have to wait untill tomorrow and see what the surgeon is going to do with me.

Started by Tonto | Last post by Bannion 
Are there any of us still living within the Brum boundries?
From reading the spiel on here I would think not.

Bannion, it's an old story, Brummies that live in Brum never seem to be interested in corresponding with anyone (I know there are a few exceptions). I have been corresponding with people from the four corners of this Earth, for most of my life. They all are very polite and reply back, but trying to get a reply from a Brummie is like trying to get blood out of a stone! Even my relatives, the ones that still live in Brum, have to be bullied into replying or even they wouldn't.

I too have always felt that my roots were in Brum, but after spending some months there visiting in 2004, I realize that the place and the people are not the same anymore. After this last visit I no longer feel any attachment to the place, and certainly couldn't live there anymore!

Bannion, it's best to keep and enjoy those memories of steam trains and  trams in your head, we were young and those times will never come back. I find it best to never dwell on, or live in the past, the time is now and we should all learn to enjoy this moment in life as that too will never come back.

Graham.

ACE

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 04:08:44 PM »
Birmingham is a modern, multicultural, dynamic City which has chosen to move with the times. During the nineties, there were two choices that Birmingham could have made. Firstly, it could have stayed the same. By doing this, the city we know and love would have started going backwards. Brum has always been subject to much mockery from the rest of our country, and it gets to the point where enough is enough.

Birmingham is the second city of England, and it was time for it to prove this is the case. The way Brum has moved forward in my lifetime has been remarkable. The city is now unrecognisable from the urban nightmare it used to be. There will always be nostalgia about the old place, but I believe this is inherently linked more closely to childhood, and the 'good old days' than a genuine desire for the city to remain unchanged.

As part of the younger generation, I am proud of the way the city has decided to stand up and be counted. There is so much on offer in Brimingham. It is easy to take the place for granted, having lived here all my life. All it takes is a vist to neighbouring towns and cities to realise just how lucky us Brummies are.

You pays your money, you makes your choice

Graham

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 10:17:13 PM »
Ace, I made my choice a long time ago, to get out of Birmingham, and I paid my money, for a one way ticket abroad. The best thing I ever did in my whole life, 40 years ago.

The outlook of Birmingham city has changed with the times, but it now looks just like a thousand other cities all with the same shops and goods. The people have changed too, they all walk around as if they are looking for a fight! Out of fear no one looks each other in the eye anymore, being part of this younger generation is nothing to be proud of. The title of second city is earned by numbers of inhabitants, not by the quality of the city and it's people.

Somthing that I have known for a long time is that Brummies are the rudest people in Britain, and when I heard my fears confirmed on the BBC news earlier this year, "Brummies are the most impolite people in Britain today" it came as no surprise. "The good old days" in Brum were very far from good, the only thing that was good was our age, we were young.

Graham.

Tonto

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 07:07:50 AM »
I do still live in Brum and I have a question....

Should our "second city" status be revoked?

I recently visited some friends in London and have invited them up to Brum so I can (in m y own words) "show them the sites. What is there though?

Broad Street? THey'd run screaming. I do unless I'm really drunk.

The Birmingham wheel? I think not.

Cadburys? Hmmm... fine for kids but otherwise...

The Bull Ring? I think it was a much more interesting place before they overhauled it.

Go and see a band? *sarcasm* Yes there are just so many places in Brum where you can see live music *sarcasm*

What is there for the average tourist to see?

Andy Capp

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 11:15:52 AM »
I,m proud to have been a born & bred a Brummie. I can,t comment on the changes to Birmingham over the years. Because i moved to Redditch in 1969 & rarely go into the Birmingham city centre. All i know is that Redditch & the surrounding Birmingham area as provided me & my family a good standard of living since living in Balsall heath over 40 years ago them the only way was up. You hear that people have moved abroad to other countries & that the grass is always greener. I think if you have that drive about you will make it anyware you put your roots down. I say we should wave the the flag for Birmingham & the UK more often despite its faults. Andy Capp

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy