Author Topic: Your Birmingham School  (Read 13049 times)

mazbeth

Your Birmingham School
« on: January 23, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »
I went to E.G.G.S. (Erdington Girls Grammar School) as it was then called...now it's plain old Kingsbury (Rd.) school and mixed...and quite difficult for teachers, I believe from what someone I knew who did supply teaching told me in about '97.

I was there from '70-'75. Don't suppose anyone else here was????

It sounds bad now, and we were usually respectful of teachers then, but not always :-[
I remember a song that 2 girls in our class made up about our English teacher who was also our form teacher in about the 3rd year. Quite ashamed of ever joining in with it now.
Moptop Mrs. Deutch
Moptop Mrs. Deutch
out of the window you must go
e-i-e-i-e-i-o

it wasn't me, but she was reduced to tears once when some sang that....

but I did put red chalk dust on her chair once before she came into class, as believe it or not, I had read about some girls doing that in one of them old-fashioned Enid Blyton school books (maybe the Mallory Towers books).

if my kids had done that I wouldn't have been happy. :-[

anyway, here's some pics of the school that I found.

the main front entrance

the gym

the 3rd hockey pitch and the 'banks' (now there is a leisure centre on this spot I think, attached to the school).

(this is where we would go to smoke fags and skyve...up the top of the banks).

Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Your Birmingham School
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:30:34 PM »
mazbeth

Who went to a posh school like that on a red tractor, some people have got no couth.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:26:33 AM »
Phil... I had a mate that went to Green Moor Collage. and he was as thick as two short planks....

John 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

mazbeth

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 09:05:31 AM »
mazbeth

Who went to a posh school like that on a red tractor, some people have got no couth.

Phil
it wasn't really posh Phil  :D
red tractor?
it was Erdington, not the countryside.

Where's Green Moor College John? Don't remember that.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

john2000

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »
Mazbeth, Green Moor Collage, was a high class school, very near the Bristol Rd and Sir Harry Rd, and Pershore Rd, well in that area, they had to wear uniforms, to me in them days it was a posh school, ( I think it did'nt matter which school my mate went to, he still had the brains of a nat. )  :D ( but he was my mate, and I liked him a lot.)

john 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

mazbeth

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 10:06:44 AM »
oh thanks...there's a posh private school up there which is Holy Child school I think, but I can't remember properly now
old age  :D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 10:26:48 PM »
John

It was Moor Green College. I have been looking at this on and off all day thinking I don't recognise the name of that school. When it suddenly clicked.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 10:52:23 PM »
 I know of Moor Green Lane or Road, but that's up Russell Road between Cannon Hill area and Moseley.
I can't think of one by Bristol Rd. and Sir Harry's...but perhaps as it's posh it's hidden by tall hedges or walls or something :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:07:02 PM »
mazbeth

Moor Green Lane ran from Moseley Rd, next to Reddings Lane I think and it ran down to Dogpool Lane I think it is down in Stirchley.

There is or was a school in Moor Green Lane but I don't it was a college. So perhaps the college was elsewhere and just used the name, but I do remember the name.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 11:12:47 PM »
mazbeth

Moor Green Lane ran from Moseley Rd, next to Reddings Lane I think and it ran down to Dogpool Lane I think it is down in Stirchley.

yes, the one I am thinking of has Reddings Lane off it...think it's classed as Moseley...Shutlock Lane is off it too  where a friend of mine used to live...
there is a cricket ground or something on it...and they have built new luxury apartments on some of it...it has a sort of green in the middle, and it meets Russell Road which goes down to Edgbaston Rd.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 11:21:28 PM »
mazbeth

Thats the place it used to a very nice area back when I was a teenager. It was one of the places I dreamt of owning a house along with Sutton and Solihull. I think I made the best choice in the end.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy