Author Topic: The "New" Birmingham  (Read 5408 times)

bossd

The "New" Birmingham
« on: April 06, 2006, 04:50:08 PM »
Good or Bad??
The world is yours

si

Re: The "New" Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 10:09:57 PM »
Not exactly sure what you mean by 'new'. If it's the significant amount of building that's going on, then I like it. No need for the place to stand still is ther!?

bossd

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 12:09:12 PM »
Yes i mean all the development everywhere!! From the city center to the suburbs things are popping up all over. Think some of it is great, some much needed areas getting the development they need. Other places though i find soulless and sterile, with horrible poorly constructed pre-fabs. Wanted the opinions of others bad and good.
The world is yours

john2000

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 03:01:11 PM »
The city its self, is a great place, "to visit " but I think the roads need tobe thought out, at the moment they are as is a child with a pen has said, we'll have a road here, and there and over here, cutting some roads in half, so you cant cross to the other side, you have to do a deture  of about 5 miles just to go 100meters
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Bannion

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 03:14:36 PM »
I revisit the City so infrequently these days, that the times when I do cross the boundary, my attention is directed to what road lay out has been changed or made pedestianised etc etc. to be able to take great note of building work.
It would be three years ago I walked the Bull Ring and was well impressed, with one exception, of the layout.  A great improvement on the old.

Only grateful at not being a council tax payer in the city now. For all that is being done the cost borne by the local taxes be pretty high.   

bossd

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 05:04:40 PM »
Good point about the roads. Absolute nightmare driving round the city center, doesn't seem very well thought out. Saying that it could be because we're not used to it yet. Liking the major apartment developments in the town, makes it much more of a "professional" city for want of a better phrase.
The world is yours

settlerman

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 10:05:58 PM »
I know the tram hasn't started yet but it's killed parts of Corporation St this last couple of years. When the buses were stopped going into the city centre it was like a ghost town.

Spud

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 10:15:15 AM »
I am very much a Brummie and a Townie by nature and I do love to places like Grand Central and the Bull Ring Centre developments. It gives me a bit of a thrill to see so many foreign tourists around. Last week I got chatting to a Spanish Lad and his Girl Friend he was a Trainee Football Coach from Barcelona and was studying our Training methods and was actually up at Burton Albion. They were looking for 'The Canals' and we gave directions but from the Bull Ring not the easiest of instructions bearing in mind the Building and Demolition Work going on.
Taking Settlerman's point about Corporation Street it does seem be dying a bit of death perhaps when the new Tram comes into operation and the construction complete things might improve. When you think about Corporation St Is only a stones throw from Snow Hill and many buses stop in Colmore Row which really is only round the corner and buses from Brum's South Side Many stop in Carrs Lane and Moor street opposite the Station. It makes you wonder why Corporation St is somewhat ignored by shoppers. There are still pretty big hitters  like House of Fraser in Corporation St so it does seem to be a bit of a puzzle why it all but deserted.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

pat11

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 09:34:59 PM »
I think parts of town are deserted because people head for the Bullring as it encompasses all of the shops in one place and is under cover which is better most of the time in our climate.

The new Birmingham is all very well but you could be in any City in England.  The shopping centres are more or less all the same and definitely contain the same shops.  There is no character anymore.  Its a pity more independent shops can't be included to make it more interesting.  As for the canals, people really believe we have more canals than Venice but this isn't true and was a throwaway remark made by a Councilor a few years ago, everybody thinks its a fact now!
Kindness is the best feature

settlerman

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 09:45:12 PM »
Well he fooled me. I believed we did have more canals. There's no fool like an old fool. 😞

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 10:31:16 PM »
Pat 11

I don't know who first said that there were more canals in Birmingham than in Venice, but he or she were certainly right. I first heard it said more than a couple of years ago and factually it is correct. Birmingham has 35 miles of Canals within it's boundary and Venice has 26 so it doesn't take a genius to work out which City has most.

The thing is Venice is much smaller than Birmingham so their canals are much more concentrated so it just looks like there are more. Though whichever way you look at it "Birmingham has more canals than Venice".
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy