Author Topic: The "New" Birmingham  (Read 5407 times)

pat11

Re: The "New" Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 11:09:04 PM »
I was quoting something I had read (note to self.......check your facts before opening your trap!!!) Thanks for putting us right Phil.
Lets hope we get as many tourists as Venice in the future.
Kindness is the best feature

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 11:18:04 PM »
I was quoting something I had read (note to self.......check your facts before opening your trap!!!) Thanks for putting us right Phil.
Lets hope we get as many tourists as Venice in the future.

Well they say the Birmingham had 37.2 Million visitors in the year 2014-2015 that's 10% more than any other City in England except London, so there is hope yet.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

davidc

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 10:18:33 AM »
Phil, I visit Birmingham for the accents! ;) :)
Power corrupts

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 02:41:35 PM »
Pat 11

I don't know who first said that there were more canals in Birmingham than in Venice, but he or she were certainly right. I first heard it said more than a couple of years ago and factually it is correct. Birmingham has 35 miles of Canals within it's boundary and Venice has 26 so it doesn't take a genius to work out which City has most.

The thing is Venice is much smaller than Birmingham so their canals are much more concentrated so it just looks like there are more. Though whichever way you look at it "Birmingham has more canals than Venice".

Do you mean more canals or more miles of canal?
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 03:19:53 PM »

Obviously the answer is miles, Venice has I think 177 canals Birmingham only 4 or 5 now but the reason Venice has so many is because every branch has a different name like the streets in any other city. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Joewoen

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 06:49:25 PM »

Further to what Phil has said, Birmingham definitely has more LENGTH of canals,which is, of course, the only way to measure the difference. But, Venice has more volume of water than Birmingham. This is because the Venice ring road canal is very wide. I believe cruise ships are able to navigate a little way along it.

Spud

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 11:37:36 AM »
I am sure that Venice would have a greater Volume of Water  than Birmingham's Canals but of course Venice is open to the Lagoon and the Sea. As regards Cruise ships navigating the largest Canal [The Grand Canal] that certainly is not correct. I was in Venice  about 12 months ago on a Cruise at that time Liners were only allowed to sail across The Venice lagoon and  past St Marks Sq and the entrance to the Grand Canal but actually berthed a couple of miles away the ship we were on provided a Ferry Service to St Marks Sq but there was also the option to catch a local Train or Water Taxi. But even this is in the process of change it seems that the Cruise Ships over the years have caused damage to the environment and will be banned from Venice it self. In fact this may have already happened as I say it is 12 months since we were there and the new berth was work in progress. As I remember the new berth will be along side one of the islands in the Lagoon so a ferry or water taxi will be needed to see the sights. If anyone is remotely interested I will be in Venice in a few weeks time so I should be able to give an up date
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

frederick

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 02:53:45 PM »
Spud,
That was a very good cruise I would do that one again.

I would say as you Venice is surrounded by the sea much more water than Brum.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Joewoen

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 01:16:24 PM »
Spud,
That was a very good cruise I would do that one again.

I would say as you Venice is surrounded by the sea much more water than Brum.

So, as I said, Birmingham's 'more canals than Venice' is about LENGTH not volume.

Joewoen

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »
Yes i mean all the development everywhere!! From the city center to the suburbs things are popping up all over. Think some of it is great, some much needed areas getting the development they need. Other places though i find soulless and sterile, with horrible poorly constructed pre-fabs. Wanted the opinions of others bad and good.

Birmingham has entered a rebuild stage, probably greater than the massive one experienced post war / early '60's. It is an exciting time for Birmingham and there is a confidence in the city that we are world class. The regular survey results that show Birmingham is amongst the top world cities for quality of life, infrastructure, business, tourism, etc. is very reassuring.

Unlike the rebuild that occured pre 2008 downturn, this rebuild is different. Much more is being concentrated on the inner run down areas of the city, which were former small factory areas and with recession had become rather dire. The jewellery Quarter is a prime example, with very sensitive remodelling of existing buildings, keeping the character of the area. Digbeth is also experiencing a renaissance, with the Custard Factory and surrounding trendy area.

Obviously we are still getting some dross being built, after all, this is not London. But on the whole it is exciting times.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy