Author Topic: Re: Millington St Castle Bromwich  (Read 12634 times)

cocacolakid

Re: Millington St Castle Bromwich
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »
Hi cocacolakid.

You say you moved out in 1949, i lived there from 57 any idea when the propertys were built ŋ . Can you remember what number you lived at

I remember a Whitehouse family but canīt put faces or house numbers to either, but they may be another Whitehouse family as donīt remember much before early 60īs

castalla...

Firstly, welcome to the forum.  I lived at # 73 Millington Rd.  It was townie who came from Shard End who was asking about the whitehouse family from Millington Rd, as his wife came from there. I don't remember a whitehouse family from when I lived there, I was only 6yrs old when we left, and only recall the families that were close neighbours. It was quite a long road.

Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

castalla

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »
Thank you for that, going by the Electrol Register (1955 i think) if your family lived at 73 the family then was Jeffries, neighbours Brown 69 Ansells at 71 Matthews 75 Bramma 77

cocacolakid

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 03:54:17 PM »
Hi cocacolakid.

You say you moved out in 1949, i lived there from 57 any idea when the propertys were built ?

castalla...

The houses in Millington Rd were built in the second half of the thirties. they cost under Ģ400.

Malc.

cocacolakid

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »
       Hi townie..

No, I don't think the clock garage was  there during my time at Millington Rd. It was all open ground as I remember it.  You could walk through from opposite the bottom of Millington Rd to Where the Clock Garage was built. I remember well going over there with my mother to collect wheat and potatoes that had been grown on the land (the ones left behind after harvesting) The land had been worked on by trusted German prisoners of war. I remember one of the Germans who used to help us collect them, (I think he fancied my mother)There was a canteen on the land, for the workers. This was run by a lady by the name of Mrs Grifiths, if I remember correctly. She used to save all the scraps of food for my mother, to feed our hens.

Malc.

castalla

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »
Hi Cocacolakid,

I know this is not about Millington Road, but just up the road at Chipperfield, do i remenber correctlly there was a Timber Merchants (that now is flats) facing the Hunters. My aunt moved from Millington to a ground floor flat when they were new about late 60īs early 70īs

cocacolakid

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 04:47:16 PM »
Hi Cocacolakid,

I know this is not about Millington Road, but just up the road at Chipperfield, do i remenber correctlly there was a Timber Merchants (that now is flats) facing the Hunters. My aunt moved from Millington to a ground floor flat when they were new about late 60īs early 70īs

Hi castalla..

You are talking about things some years after I left in 1949. but I can tell you that the Hunters Moon did not exist when I was there, and certainly no flats, as to a wood yard, I don't remember being aware of one, but I was only 6 when we left, so there might have been one that was not obvious to me. Sorry, thats the best I can do on this one.

Malc.

townie

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 11:54:11 PM »
I come from Shard End, I don't remember a timber yard. But it may have been before my time.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

marshey

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »
I have lived in Millington Road since 1960, it has changed so much round here.   I remember Mrs Jeffries.

cocacolakid

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2014, 10:51:09 AM »
I have lived in Millington Road since 1960, it has changed so much round here.   I remember Mrs Jeffries.

marshy...

I visited Millington Rd a few weeks ago. The road has changed  as would be expected in the 65 years since I lived there. Most of the changes are down to the car. When I lived there, there was only two cars. One was a Morgan three wheeler that was just kept on the drive, and was not used untill after 1945 due to the shortage of petrol during the war. After the war, The Thomas family who lived over the road from us bought an Austin 7, this would have been 1948/49.  These days Millington Rd is like every other road,  there are many cars about. As a result, over the years the houses have lost their front gardens, the walls and gates have been removed, and the gardens paved over to make car parking spaces, this to me is the biggest change to the road. The houses are 1930s semi's and have shared drives, so parking there is not an option. I noticed that the coal houses had been knocked down, and replaced with extensions or conservatories. In some cases, front porches had been added. Millington Rd is no longer the quiet, peaceful road that I remember, and due to the changes to the frontages of the houses, and cars everywhere, it is not so pleasant visually.

marshy, what number in Millington Rd did you live at??

Malc.

marshey

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »
Hi Malc, I still live at number 64, been there since 1960, (our next-door neighbours were Mr and Mrs Humphries, maybe you remember them)?   raised 4 children, they went to Bromford Road Infants and Junior and then both girls went to Hodge Girls (Grammar School as it was then), and the boys to Marsh Hill Tech.  Both local schools have changed dramatically !!

As you say, Millington Road is`nt the quite peaceful road it was back in your day and even since the 60`s when we moved in it was still a lovely road, not many cars - we certainly could`nt afford one and borrowed my sisters to take us on our caravan holidays to Tenby.  Most of our old neighbours have moved out, some out of Birmingham, but somehow we seemed to have missed the boat, however we count our blessings and are too old now to contemplate a move.

Regards,
Marshey

cocacolakid

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »
Hi Malc, I still live at number 64, been there since 1960, (our next-door neighbours were Mr and Mrs Humphries, maybe you remember them)?   raised 4 children, they went to Bromford Road Infants and Junior and then both girls went to Hodge Girls (Grammar School as it was then), and the boys to Marsh Hill Tech.  Both local schools have changed dramatically !!

Marshy...

Thanks for that. Sorry, I don't recall a Mr & Mrs Humphries. You are on the opposite side of the Rd to me, I lived at # 73. The only names I remember on that side, are the Jones's and the Thomas's who were just over the road from us. I don't know how many times # 73 has changed hands since we left in 1949.

I started my school days at Stechford Rd,( later known as Hodge Hill ) I took a look up there recently and it was totaly unrecogniseable from my days there. I understand it is split into two schools now, on that site.

Do you know or talk to the people that presently live at # 73 Millington ??

Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy