Author Topic: Re: Millington St Castle Bromwich  (Read 12633 times)

GardenGerald

Re: Millington St Castle Bromwich
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2017, 02:00:15 PM »
Hello Castalla
We will get there via Chipperfield Road and the Chip Shop. What road was the Chip Shop in. I am doing my
best to remember things from 60 years ago. Do you remember Firs Farm Drive, my Mom and Dad Lived there.
When I got married I Lived in Ventnor Avenue. Great times and happy days. Did you climb Pimple Hill.
Best wishes
Gerald

castalla

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »
Chip shop was on Erminghton Cresent next door to a ladys hairdressers, then a sweet shop, Flairs the ironmongers, across the road fruit shop (teddy haynes i think, going back there was a old shop that sold cold meats then a butchers, then a off licence then a newsagents. Shawsdale Road if i can remember there  was a fruit shop then a chemist, then a barbers shop, the co op, mens out fitters (where we got our school uniform from) Stevens was the name of the shop Barrys the Butchers and a bookies. I went to school with a lad from Firs Farm Jimmy Byrnes was his name we went to St Wilfreds. Climbed walked cycled  up to Pimple Hill when it was the old Newport Road no dual carriageway in my time, looked around the Maze at Lady Bradfords but to scared to go in especially with the rumour's of the ghost of lady Bradford. Told there were bodys from the war buried underneath the road outside of the church up there ¿. Back to the common area where Hodge Hill flats are now there used to be a woodyard, i have asked if anybody remembers this, nobody can but i am positive there was. Used to cycle and walk along Ventnor but always told posh people lived in that area (owing to being bigger houses then  Millinghton road). O happy days going to brum next year have not been to this area for over 20 odd years but going to have a look, from what news i have seen in the papers, of wahts happening in this area and sort of people who live there now, my parents would be turning in the graves, looking for some changes no doubt     

marshey

Re: Re: Millington St Castle Bromwich
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
I have lived in Millington Road since 1960, it was lovely round here then but not any more.  We had lovely shops, hairdressers, Franklin’s Grocers, sweet shop, all in Ermington Road, hardware shop on the corner. Round the corner in Chipperfield Road, there was Garnetts greengrocers and Bragg’s cakes to name a couple. The Co-op had most of Shawsdale Road with Stevens shop on the corner where I bought my wool. Barry John the butchers is still there, however the area is so run down now. The schools were good, my children all went to Bromford Road infants and junior, the two girls went on to 6th form, the younger to uni, now it’s spot the white face!  The twins Martyn and Nigel went on to Marsh Hill, happy days.  It’s sad to see how a once decent area has deteriorated, but it’s not just here is it, sign of the times.

castalla

Re: Re: Millington St Castle Bromwich
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2017, 06:08:09 PM »
Garnetts yes not Teddy Haynes and Braggs Greggs took them over just going to say Franklins remembered the name before i read last post and post office Dillions what ever happend to that company taken over i suppose. Remember the fruit and veg shop in Shawsdale when every one was shocked when a Indian couple tookover but they did bring some lovely Pakoares to try lovely people though, and everybody out to the British Legion of a Saturday night, or jf you wanted a party rent out the hall down Shawsdale Road

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2017, 09:43:57 PM »
Always used Jack the barber on Castle Bromwich village green in the 1940's and 50's but he only did 'short back and sides'
Then my mate told me about this barber near Millington road that did 'Teddy boy' hairstyles. Used him for a few years.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

GardenGerald

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »
Hello
There was an Off Licence in Chipperfield Road. Stevens moved to the new shop from Ashted Row.
The Saw Mill was on the main Road. Top of Chipperfield Road, turn left and about 300 yards on the left was the Saw Mill. It
was called The Estate Saw Mill. Bought quite a few bits of wood from their.
Who went down to the old Golf Course at the back of the Comet Pub. When they built the Bromford Estate
the last piece of the race course to go was a jumping hurdle. I was in two minds if I took it or not.
Did anyone see the huge crater near Pimple Hill. The River Tame always looked dirty so we kept away and went to the River
Cole in Coleshill.
Gerald.

castalla

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2017, 07:27:43 PM »
Thank you for confirming there was a Woodyard at the top of chipperfield now Hodge Hill Court flats, did not know the name of it as i was very young when i knew of it, remember my Dad taking me up to the comet once to look at the race course, ye remember the crater we used to go down a lane that was called Lovers lane to get to the Hill, Great views and the smell of Marsh and Baxters, would cycle up there on the way to Water Orton and back (would kids do this these days). Anybody remember Birmingham City players living up Collingbourne road area , Malcom Beard lived in Standlake , Michael Page  lived in Twycross and Geoff Vowden lived at the end house next to Bromford Rd i know exact house because my mom used to clean for the family, he moved to live in Water Orton, asked my mom of she would get his autograph for me but she never did.Some of the kids used to knock on these people sdoors asking for there autographs. Did the Move or another famous band live in Bromford road Sue Hanson (miss diane) supposed to visit there. And Reg Watson ex producer of Crossroads used to live on the Common.We used to go to the river by Glebe Farm for tadpoles bring them home and hope they will turn into frogs never did. Going back a bit St Wilfreds Church was never there Church services used to be in the School Assembly Hall with Fr Whelan

GardenGerald

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2017, 09:32:53 PM »
Hello Castalla
It was known as the estate saw mill. The Managing Director of S&U lived in Bromford Road, very nice people and a very nice
daughter but I would have felt out of my depth but I did go to the house a few times.
Malcolm Beard moved to live in Curdworth. Geoff Vowden did live in Water Orton and was a very good member of the community.
In Water Orton we used to get together and organise things for the village. Under 12 Disco, Teenage Disco. Adult Dance.
Once a month Picture Night. Day Trips. It just happened that a group of us young people wanted to live a little and involve everyone.
We went on a day trip to Rhyl. Counted everyone back on the train to come home and off we set. After about 10 minutes one of the Mothers asked if anyone had seen her little boy. We showed her the check sheet that he had got on the train. She said I know what he has happened I sat down and started talking to he lady next to me and I bet he got off the train. WE spoke to the Guard and he said
we will pass a signal box in about 3 miles. As soon as I say wind that handle down as hard as you can and I will give a red flag signal to the man in the box. He will stop the train. It all went tp plan the little boy was in the ticket office of the station. She went back in a police car.
More to follow...Best wishes...Gerald.

Journey66

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2020, 09:36:27 PM »
Hi,

My Grandparents used to live in Hayhouse grove. We often went to the Comet pub. I notice nobody has posted any pictures so i guess they are few now days. You guy's are right it used to be a great place. Very different now though.

mike mancott

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2020, 09:49:42 PM »
Gerald,
I thought the Sawmill by Ermington Crescent was owned by the Cornock family. I was at school with one of the Cornock sons.
They owned a sandpit which was carved out of the Bromford Road side of Hodgehill Common.
Aged fourteen I had a Cornock girlfriend, she lived near Ward End Park, but was from another distant branch of the same family.

S&U ? Who was the MD who lived in Bromford Road?  I had a bit to do with S&U`s wholesale business, Coombs & Co.
Clifford Coombs was the founder of S&U.
Mike

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy