Author Topic: Birmingham bus routes and their number.  (Read 74613 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Birmingham bus routes and their number.
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 11:24:13 AM »
Spud The 29 bus ran from Baldwins Lane through the city to Hillingford Avenue Kingstanding I know they altered and messed about with the route a little later, but I'm sure that was the route in the sixties.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »
No 15 went from Wittington Oval to Hamstead  and the No 16 Hamstead to Whittington Oval 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Spud

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »
Phil I beg to differ about the 29 Bus. it was the 29a bus that terminated at the Baldwin it passed the end of the road where  I live. Leaving Stratford rd at Springfield it went up Springfield Road left on to Wake Green Rd then left into Cole Bank Rd right into Sarehole Rd left into Robin Hood lane over Highfield Rd right into Kedelston Rd left into Scribers Lane right in to Baldwins Lane Terminating at The Baldwin.
The 29 Terminated in Highfield rd  near to Yardley Wood Station. I am going back a bit but I used both services on regular basis certainly up until 1962.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Spud

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
Phil Sorry to be a pain about 29s and 29as I am fairly certain that the 29a was still terminating at The Baldwin into the 70s. I did not move into this house until 1977 and it was still running then. It has been replaced by the No.5 which goes along Baldwins Lane and past the Baldwin on to Cheswick Green and on to Solihull then back again and on to the City Centre.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »
Spud,

You differ all you like, although I will opine on most subjects concerning Birmingham, I don't profess to be an expert in any of them only an interested amateur. The 29 Bus route was not a bus route that I ever used and this is where I have taken my information from although it is not very easy reading.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

trapio

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 02:10:39 PM »
19  city circle

24  warstock

37  hall green

44 acocks green & olton

50 Maypole

there are at least two 900+ services to solihull
Integrity is non negotiable

planetmalc

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »
Can you name all the Birmingham bus routes and their numbers from one to I think I seen a bus with 96 on it. But I don't think there are 96 bus routes in Birmingham but I might be wrong.
I think i'm doing this right as its just a bit of fun and something to do.

I will start with number one Moseley College arms.
Next number 2

Whoa Townie  -  the #1 isn't as simple as that!    Back in the day there was a #1 and there was a #1A (which didn't go as far as the #1) but I can't remember the routes of either.    The maximum extent of the routes was from Acocks Green island to the city centre.     Today, the route is different because it  extends past Acocks Green and goes through Robin Hood Island (this is a very recent modification).

I can't remember where the old #2 went, but the modern version has similarities with the old #24 route (which was Warstock via Showell Green Lane).         
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »
Further to Roy One's comment on 29 Bus it went on as far as Hall Green in the opposite direction terminating in Highfield Road
Then there was the 29a which I think was at one time the longest route except perhaps the Outer Circle It went from Great Barr through Perry Barry and town via Hall Green terminating at the Baldwin Pub which is about as far out of Brum without getting into Shirley/Solihull.
As any one tried the new No. 3. If you do make sure you pack a packed lunch and a drink

Spot on, Spud, that's how both routes were back in the 50's (Phil's timetable is a different era to that).

You're right about the modern #3; you can get all the way out to Wythall Transport Museum on it! O0
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 03:31:34 PM »
In 1964 the route for the 1 was Congreve St, Five Ways, Calthorpe Rd, Edgbaston Park Rd, Bristol Rd, Park Hill, Moseley Village, Billesley Lane, Springfield Rd, Allcroft Rd, Fox Hollies Rd, Acocks Green.

The 1B,C,D,F & H terminated at different places along that route.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 03:34:52 PM »
The Number 2 route was Kings Heath to the Ivy Bush

2A  Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
2B  Bournebrook Dawlish Rd.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blueblizzard

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
Part of a job lot of books brought some years ago was a 1978 WMPT timetable with every route listed,,,,,,,,so a few in 1978

1-A/Green- City

2 K/Heath- S/Oak

13 City-Y/Wood

15 nothing listed

19 City Circle

24 City-Warstock

29 nothing listed

90/91 Hall Green-Pheasey Estate Kingstanding

Don't take life so seriously,,,nobody gets out alive anyway

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy