Author Topic: Birmingham bus routes and their number.  (Read 42302 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: Birmingham bus routes and their number.
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2018, 03:31:07 PM »

Well a single decker WMPTE stops at the village two miles away

So

Is your village in an area that could have been covered by the old WMPTE or was it outside their area.
Make Love Not War

Scipio

« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2018, 08:27:37 PM »

Deregulation put profit before public service. The usual Tory mantra ::)

Bus routes Squire not Conservative thread, how did de-regulation increase profit . When it allowed other companies to have a bite of the cherry

expatbrummie

« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2018, 11:13:32 PM »
The original number 4 ran from the city, doing the city loop to Harborne.   It ran at the same time as the 3/3a routes and was discontinued in 1954.   As someone whose youth was spent on the 5/7 route, on a visit back to the city, I got a nasty shock to see a number 5 bus at Solihull station, but was releived to see it was a diffrent colour to the one i used to use.

townie

« Reply #247 on: February 05, 2018, 10:43:14 PM »

The original number 4 ran from the city, doing the city loop to Harborne.   It ran at the same time as the 3/3a routes and was discontinued in 1954.   As someone whose youth was spent on the 5/7 route, on a visit back to the city, I got a nasty shock to see a number 5 bus at Solihull station, but was releived to see it was a diffrent colour to the one i used to use.

Thanks for that expat all good to know.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Mrsperfect

« Reply #248 on: April 20, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
Can you name all the Birmingham bus routes and their numbers from one to I think I seen a bus with 96 on it. But I don't think there are 96 bus routes in Birmingham but I might be wrong.
I think i'm doing this right as its just a bit of fun and something to do.

I will start with number one Moseley College arms.
Next number 2

I think the No. 1A went through Moseley Village and down towards Edgbaston Cricket Ground. I wasn't as frequent as the No 50, that was a great service and went into the city.

countrylad

« Reply #249 on: May 09, 2018, 03:46:34 PM »
Spud

When the bumber 4 route was instigated back in December 1963 the number 5 was quite happily doing the the Colmore Row to Perry Common route.
The registration on the 5A is a Coventry Reg, I wonder if it was on loan to Brum
countrylad

expatbrummie

« Reply #250 on: May 10, 2018, 04:12:44 PM »
No it was the odd one out Birmingham registrations, VP, I believe originally intended for commercial vehicles.   This was one of the pre-war Daimlers re-instated to make up for a shortfall in buses in the late 1950s when the 51, 52 & 42 routes were introduced, travelled on it many times .   A total of 41 buses were relicensed.   I think VP was used with one or two of the very early buses (with two letters and four numbers) The only other with a VP registration were 1320 - 1232 the four 8feet wide Daimlers intended for Johannesburg but stopped because of the war which were registered FVP 920 - FVP 923 - they spent most of their later life on the ( - Quinton route.

expatbrummie

« Reply #251 on: May 10, 2018, 04:13:55 PM »
That should be 9 - Quinton route

countrylad

« Reply #252 on: May 10, 2018, 06:42:51 PM »
Hi expatbrummie, thanks for the clarification  O0