Author Topic: 55 yrs on Somethings old and tatty, some new, or renewed  (Read 15880 times)

planetmalc

Re: 55 yrs on Somethings old and tatty, some new, or renewed
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
still more , but..

....the round white clock is still on black wall bracket - in virtual centre of photo

That clock is on Corporation Street photo's all the way back since time began.     When Ratners owned the premises, they had 'RATNERS' added to the dial. :-\
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 03:17:30 PM »
I think that originally this Jewellers was owned by Nathan & Co I purchased either our wedding bands or my wife's engagement ring from there though I don't remember now which it was (don't tell the wife).
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

trapio

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »
trapio,
It looks like you had a good look around while you were in Brum, and thanks for sharing your photos with us   O0

Fred,

Took a few down the old end - inc baths and library, and Clifton Rd, there are already some of those on BF - and down Gas St basin which has been tarted up for the posers and ponces (looks very over-priced for what it is) as for the Mailbox, a paradise for both.  ;D

I'm glad I went, no old memories tarnished, it's a different place to the one I knew as a child.  Spoke with muslim families in 'our road' one Saturday afternoon, and  nearby - they came across as hardworking families - the married daughter of one had moved out to Rowley Regis and said that at first she couldn't understand the accent very well.  No sign of extremists - rather people glad to see that I'd ''bothered to come back'' esp after so long.

All West Indian and Pakistani traders in BR market that I met, had normal brummie accents as they'd either been in brum since childhood or born there.

The biggest change in the people, is the ''zip'' coat - in town centre, I counted over 20 consecutive passersby in other direction with zip fronted clothing**  It makes for shapelessness and so looks rather characterless, lacking any hint of individuality - as colours are bland or dark, 'memory clips' of East Berlin's drabness briefly  flashed to mind - pity.

There is an excellent chippie on the outside of the market - used it twice.    Must say that  a lad from the hills of Albanian is not the first person I'd have thought of as a ''great chipper'' but that guy is very good... O0

** 3 times
Integrity is non negotiable

planetmalc

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »
I think that originally this Jewellers was owned by Nathan & Co I purchased either our wedding bands or my wife's engagement ring from there though I don't remember now which it was (don't tell the wife).

I took a stroll up Corporation Street last night and had a look at the big clock and it's got 'N A T H A N' across its dial so maybe I misread it. :-[      And it's got a pawnbrokers balls hanging underneath it! ;D

Paulina

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »
Thanks Trapio for sharing the pictures.  Very interesting, but I hardly recognized anything, it all looked so different. But enjoyed so much seeing them. I expect it would all seem very strange to me.

planetmalc

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 03:45:37 PM »
Thanks Trapio for sharing the pictures.  Very interesting, but I hardly recognized anything, it all looked so different. But enjoyed so much seeing them. I expect it would all seem very strange to me.

You can wander all over modern Brum by using the 'Google Street View UK' site.     Just put that string into the Google search screen and, once in, type in the name of the street you want to look at, then use your mouse to drag the little yellow man symbol to the section of the street you're interested in and click on the big white arrows on the screen to navigate your way backwards & forwards along it. O0

Paulina

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 08:41:14 PM »
 :) Thanks Planetmalc, I,ll make a note of that.  Paulina  :)

trapio

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 04:21:10 AM »
Paulina,

Much is changed beyond easy recognition from photographs especially BR, New St, High St, Corporation St. 

So Planetmalc's suggestion is worth following up - don't fret if it takes a wee while to keep control on gggl earth - most people will not have got it perfect first - or second - time.

You may well conclude that you liked it much more as it was than as it now is - pedestrianisation excepted.

You may well understand that many brummies who now live out of the inner suburbs, rarely go onto the city centre.....and then only because the centre still holds the only good selection of the goods sought - obvious example is the Jewellery Quarter.

planetmalc

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »
I found out by accident that Street View is not all about streets: for instance, if you select 'Gas Street' as your street of interest and then click on the Gas Street Basin area of the map, you get a selection of shots taken from various points around the basin by a photographer with a still camera. O0

trapio

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 06:25:25 PM »

malc,

I found that by accident too - a while back...as I rarely use gggl earth, I'd completely forgotten about it, thanks for a very timely reminder O0

trapio

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 03:50:51 AM »

It's four weeks since I walked happily home to the heat.......and brum has been slipping more readily into the limbo of the past far more easily than my 55 year memories ever will - yet isn't that one purpose of going back - to see change without having 'a sea change'? - it's definitely been so for me.

When I left, I had no thought of returning to brum - I've left a good number of places since, and this is the only one I decided to return to before leaving, I did return, 17 years ago - longer than I lived in total in brum. 

As each day goes by I see ever less likelihood of wanting to leave Santo Domingo - but I never say never - because nobody knows tomorrow O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy