Author Topic: 55 yrs on Somethings old and tatty, some new, or renewed  (Read 15884 times)

Paulina

Re: 55 yrs on Somethings old and tatty, some new, or renewed
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »
 :) Yes, thanks Trapio,  I did investigate and found where I mainly grew up and actually found the house too.  It felt so strange, as though I was sitting outside our old house and wondering who was going to come out.  Saw the privet hedge that my parents actually planted.  A strange feeling.  Thanks, I have to spend more time looking places up.  :)

trapio

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 05:08:01 PM »

Paulina,

As I walked down the street where I was born and mainly raised, I saw 'devil's in the detail' change.

Both sides of it now have very small front gardens.  The ones that used to have gardens, now have ''half', the other half having crossed the street.

There are now somewhat contrived wee parking bays on both sides - result a street that had less than 10 vehicles an hour years ago, now has non stop 2 way traffic - but is only just on half the width - with cars leaving parking bays, the road has become a stop-start, noisy thoroughfare.

The houses either side of covered alleys with rooms above have lost the rooms and are now open to the skies.   The ''avenue'' at the back has lost most walls as back gardens are now 'double +' garages - this was repeated in at least one other street.  Now, one can't even tread the same roadside as the bricks have gone - well broken flagstones now - due to cars...

The people are muslim and 3 churches are now 2 mosques and an islamic school.

The street has same name and friendly, apparently hardworking folk - it's language(s) culture, ethnicity, religion and obviously the ethos of the 50s have been obliterated - as expected. 

I lived in a different social, economic and ethnic environment - it wasn't heaven and I disliked that house - but it was instructive, thus formative and so like all of us, I found ways to enjoy myself. 

The Mermaid Trough site remains a special spot as at 6 I dropped flat into it  on forearms - tremendous splash, up and legged it away uphill - spent night in Sparkhill Park - it was May - June....

Much more significantly, though I hadn't the words, it was also the beginning of a new way of thinking & living for me - survival added to already existing bombed site adventure playgrounds, made life more fun - hence  photo of trough site earlier on this thread. O0
Integrity is non negotiable

Paulina

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »
 :)  Thanks Trapio, yes it all looks so different from what I remember of the city centre, as I was there everyday, working there, so really I loved the city and all  its stores and entertainment.  Fond memories of  dances. shows,etc. I enjoyed the pictures of CannonHill Park as I was there a lot as  very young at my Grandparents house, (later was bombed to the ground).  I often went there with my Grandfather, and, even remember watching as the first of many barrage balloons was put up to, hopefully, bring down enemy planes !!! But, I never did see the Mermaid or the Mermaid Trough!  Hey, sounding mighty ancient with my memories of barrage balloons!!! But I have an amazing memory, photographic, I think sometimes!! Paulina  ;D

trapio

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 12:13:35 AM »
Much still unfinished weeks later

trapio

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »
not really changed a bit ;D

trapio

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 12:19:29 AM »
Paulina, you may have danced below this.

trapio

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 12:21:49 AM »
Had a good clean up, now pedestrianised

trapio

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 12:24:35 AM »

Still working, years late I was told

trapio

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 12:28:37 AM »

St Martin's from steps leading down from New St  - note Nelson on plinth below click face

trapio

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 12:55:48 AM »
You can see that lichen and moss have taken hold and require urgent attention.  Inside the church there was no one to talk to, only someone doing ''odds and ends'', like arranging massed small candles.

The Gift Shop has closed possibly because there was no signage for it and it has door access to the pedestrianised area close to Bull Ring Markets.  Next to it is a very good 'Tea Room' £1.10 a pot of tea for one with three good cups - agin no use of window presentation - poor signage too.

trapio

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 01:04:26 AM »
You can see that lichen and moss have taken hold and require urgent attention.  Inside the church there was no one to talk to, only someone doing ''odds and ends'', like arranging massed small candles.

The Gift Shop has closed possibly because there was no signage for it and it has door access to the pedestrianised area close to Bull Ring Markets.  Next to it is a very good 'Tea Room' £1.10 a pot of tea for one with three good cups - agin no use of window presentation - poor signage too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy