Author Topic: 55 yrs on Somethings old and tatty, some new, or renewed  (Read 15886 times)

trapio

Re: 55 yrs on Somethings old and tatty, some new, or renewed
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2014, 11:17:13 PM »
I've friend named Bird who holidays in a small former colony whose black leader is called Bird - my mate has not been accused of being a descendant of a slave owner..   Many West Indians with non African surnames, carry that of a former owner, or less often, the name of the man who gave or bought their freedom.   How else does one explain the numbers of W Is called e.g. 'White'.  I knew of one, and a 'Green' in brum, years ago.
Integrity is non negotiable

gravon42

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2014, 02:43:50 PM »
My Uncle was a Director at Birds Custard.
One life - live it!

Raydar

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
One of my nephews lives in Lord & Lady Birds house in Sutton Coldfield. O0
There's no "F" in parking.

blane

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
I had several West Indian's working for me,and I asked one how come he had a Scot's name.Apparently when they were given their freedom they had to register with the authorities,so they went around the graveyards and chose the names of dead sailors.Very logical to me. :-\ :-\ :-\

trapio

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »
My mate had nothing to do with custard company or Sutton

Ray Harrison

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2014, 01:04:16 PM »
Can I had a few things that I noticed on return to Brum . First  years ago when returning home to Brum from holiday etc. you could smell the factories and foundrys  plus general smoke. So you knew you were back and sad faces all round , That has gone now . For the most part it is still scruffy and seems to have no order like work still in progress. I like the fact you can walk all round town all cars etc, gone but would have been nice to have hears a brummie accent (or even English). On return to the "old end" the roads seemed a lot shorter. loads of small factories with nothing going on. Was not able to go up Alum Rock police closed it because "shots " had been fired.... In all don't think its any better than when I left it, But its home.
BUD

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2014, 01:34:10 PM »
Ray

You can still hear the Brummie accent almost anywhere in Birmingham the only thing that has changed is the colour of the faces that the accent comes from. I've often wondered if the children that were born in this country and grew up to adulthood here have a recognisable Brummie accent when they speak their own language.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2014, 06:24:20 PM »
As teenager, I had a pal born Jamaica, came here as a baby. Spoke Brummy at school and Windy Patois at home.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

trapio

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 04:51:10 PM »
Has anyone, or will anyone take a couple of photos of New St, Corporation St etc this  spring - it would be good to see if there's been real progress since last April wrt completing the city centre pavements

planetmalc

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2015, 05:06:59 PM »
Has anyone, or will anyone take a couple of photos of New St, Corporation St etc this  spring - it would be good to see if there's been real progress since last April wrt completing the city centre pavements

There's not been a lot of visible progress, either in Stephenson Street or Corporation Street.     They're both still fenced off in the same places as last year, and I've yet to see any workmen  doing any actual work there, this year.     Maybe it's another casualty of the city's near-bankruptcy. :-\ 
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy