Author Topic: Regent Row, Jewellery Quarter - help?  (Read 5660 times)

Empty

Regent Row, Jewellery Quarter - help?
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:55:51 PM »
Hello folks! I'm new to this stuff but it all looks helpful, so here goes. My Gt, Gt, Granddad lived at 6 Regent Row where he worked as a button burnisher. The only photo I've seen is in an old book and dates the pic as 1900. Can anyone tell me when Regent Row was built and if it was rebuilt in the mid 19th century? I'm guessing it's named after the Prince Regent, later George 4th but the 1900 photo makes the building look fairly new. Can anyone help with info?
Thanks,
E

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Regent Row, Jewellery Quarter - help?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 03:56:55 PM »
Hello Again Empty

If you researching seriously in to the history of Birmingham I would recommend this site to you.

http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/index.php

If you want to chat about anything to do with Brum, or anything else than come back here after you have found out what you want to know.

I can tell you that Regents Row has been swallowed up by Birmingham's penchant for getting rid of anything that is old (I am just wondering when my time will come). I will attach a map of where it used to be, most of the surrounding streets are still there. Regents Row is slightly off centre of the map.

I have to go to the Jewellery Quarter next week to collect some jewellery so if you want me to have a look at what is left and take some photo's I will.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Empty

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 04:19:23 PM »
Thanks, Phil, I would really appreciate your offer re pics. I have a fairly recent A-Z of B'ham and because Regent Row appears on that, I didn't think it had been bulldozed, but there you are!You're right about the City's drive to knock everything down. All the pubs I grew up in have been demolished, apart from The Shareholders which was actually demolished and rebuilt around us when we lived there!! I seem to have left a trail of destruction all my own....
I will try your recommended website, Phil, over and out..

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:14:45 PM »
Hi Empty

I was in Warstone Lane today, there was no trace of Regents Row left, Regent Place and Regent St are still there, but alas no Regent Row. So obviously I was unable to take any photo's.

Sorry

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Empty

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:14:48 PM »
Phil,
thanks for looking anyway. Think I'll get in touch with the Info Centre there and they may have some images.
Empty

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:05:46 PM »
Empty

Do you have a name for the Company at 6 Regent Row where Gt Gt Granddad worked it may ne of some help.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Empty

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 04:46:06 PM »
Thanks for the interest, Phil, but it was their home. A lot of workers in the 1850s worked at home - it was pre Industrial revolution. So family life would have been going on around him as he laboured at his bench.
Onwards and upwards.
Empty

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:22:43 AM »
Empty

It looks like I was in error the other day when I said there was no trace of Regents Row. There is one side of it left for a short distance. I found it today. I must have walked by it the other day. Here is a snap of whats left and one of the road sign which is still in place.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Empty

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
Phil47,
you are an absolute gem!!!
The first view is the same as the black & white pic in my old book. My daughter and I will be in B'ham on Sunday so this will be the first stop!
Thanks so much,
Empty

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 11:03:26 AM »
Empty

Only glad to be of help, I'm only sorry that I nearly led you astray. It gets a little busy there on a Sunday and can be busier than a Saturday. So don't be surprised if parking is in short supply  towards midday. Good hunting.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »
I WORKED AT THE MAIN POST OFFICE IN BIRMINGHAM IN THE 1960,S. ONE OF THE MAIL WALKS WAS IN THE JEWELLERY QUARTER. A LOT OF THE HOUSES WERE BIG OLD VICTORIAN ONES WITH ABOUT SIX ROOMS. IN EACH ROOM WERE SMALL LITTLE TRADE OF ALL KINDS SOME WONDERFUL GOODS WERE MADE BY THESE LITTLE TRADES. SAD TO SAY A LOT HAVE GONE & THOSE THAT ARE LEFT ARE FINDING IT HARD. ANDY CAPP

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy