Author Topic: Rowland Emet  (Read 2354 times)

greenbrummie

Rowland Emet
« on: May 22, 2014, 05:58:26 AM »
An excellent exhibition of the cartoons and other works including the marvellous and amusing' contraptions of Rowland Emett  who was educated at Waverley grammar school and Bham school of Arts and crafts, is on till September at the Gas Hall, part of Birmingham Art Gallery and Museum.
It costs £5 (£3 concessions. )   I spent a good hour and half there yesterday and reccomend to all , children, artists weirdos and fans of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

normansil

Re: Rowland Emet
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:13:17 AM »
If I remember correctly, there were working examples of Rowland Emett's matrial at the 1951 exhibition in London.
Beorma - founder of Birmingham

greenbrummie

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 11:20:40 AM »
Yes you are right Norm.  One was Nellie the Far Tottering and West Creek Railway . Did you know he also worked at Turner Bros at one time, the largest tool manufacturing company in the world And worked on tools used for manufacture of 1st British jet engine

There are many working contraptions from his original and fun filled mind on show in the exhibition as well as artwork from Punch and other publications

normansil

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »
Yes you are right Norm.  One was Nellie the Far Tottering and West Creek Railway . Did you know he also worked at Turner Bros at one time, the largest tool manufacturing company in the world And worked on tools used for manufacture of 1st British jet engine

There are many working contraptions from his original and fun filled mind on show in the exhibition as well as artwork from Punch and other publications

I wish I lived within easy reach of Birmingham, I am jealous. Do you know if there is a catalogue of the exhibition that I could send away for and buy, please?

greenbrummie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »
Normansil    Have a look at http://www.rowlandemett.com/ Maybe they wiil be able to help with catalogue. Also quite a lot on the web just by typing in Rowland Emett if you haven't done so already  O0

I didn't see any catalogue  while I was there.  Please let me know if you are unable get one before next weekend and I will see if they have anything as I pass by  on Tuesday week.

normansil

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »
I didn't see any catalogue  while I was there.  Please let me know if you are unable get one before next weekend and I will see if they have anything as I pass by  on Tuesday week.

Thank you, I will follow up your suggestion.

TimGriffiths

Re: Rowland Emett
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 11:03:37 AM »
We are going to produce a pocket guide to Emett's machines which will be available at the Museum and through the Rowland Emett website. Later in the summer the first biography of Emett will be published. All profits will go to the Rowland Emett Trust to support efforts to preserve his machines.

I am currently researching Turner Brothers in Hockley for a walking tour of Emett's Birmingham on 21st June. It will include a visit to the derelict top floor in Cliveland Street where a short film of it, as it looked in 1947, will be shown along with rare colour footage of the Far Tottering and Oyster Creek Railway in 1951. I would be interested to hear from anyone who either worked at Turner Bros during and shortly after the war, or knows someone who did.

greenbrummie

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 12:55:15 PM »
Thanks for that info Tim. I did ask at the shop and was told much the same. Good luck with contacting Turners Bros ex employees and your tour their   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy