Author Topic: RSPCA At Barnes Hill  (Read 13961 times)

Jacqueline

RSPCA At Barnes Hill
« on: January 28, 2008, 01:15:26 AM »
Have just had a council letter saying we are getting a new Asda supermarket. The map shows the entire area from Alwold Riad down to the stonehouse island.
This would take out two car showrooms but also the rspca which has been here for years.
Not sure how i feel on this. Wold like asda but hate to lose rspca. ???

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: RSPCA At Barnes Hill
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:00:06 PM »
Jacqueline

I would imagine if the RSPCA is moving out it is going under its own volition. I dare say they are being amply compensated by Asda, and that would be the RSPCA's first consideration.

I am an animal lover and I used to donate regularly but, I don't think the RSPCA is quite as good as it used to be and I stopped donating. I took this course after hearing horror stories on the radio about their refusal to go out to tend animals that had been hurt often recommending you tried an other animal shelters instead.

Then there were the cases of them putting animals down after being in their care for only 3 days. Then there was the much publicised case when they prosecuted a policeman who dispatched a dog with his truncheon at the scene of an accident because he was left with no choice,when it was in pain and they had refused to come out to its aid. They wasted thousands of pounds that were donated on that case. They thought it would bring them good publicity

I am quite happy to make donations to these little animal rescue centres now, As I am afraid that the RSPCA is run too much like a business now.

Phil
Make Love Not War

sueb

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:28:01 PM »
Phil, I felt like that about the RSPCA until last year.  My daughter couldn't look after her huge dog because of a bereavement.  I tried to look after it for 2 months, as well as looking after her and my grandson.  The dog wasn't housetrained, pulled on the lead and attacked other dogs and also they lived in a flat.  In the end I just couldn't manage any more and contacted the Birmingham Dog's Home where he came from but they wouldn't take him (they shouldn't have let him go to a flat in the first place) and then contacted Barnes Hill.  It was a week before Christmas and they said we could take him in.  When we got there they realised he wasn't one of their dogs but when I explained the circumstances they agreed to have him and re-home him.  I can't tell you how grateful I was, they helped us out at one of the worst times of our life.  I don't know what I'd have done if they hadn't had the dog for us.  It changed my opinion of them completely.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »
sueb

did you ring a couple of weeks later to find put what happened to the dog. I have to say that it unusual for the Birmingham Dog's Home to let a big dog go to someone who lives in a flat. They are normally quite good there in the way they re home dogs.

If it was a big dog, that wasn't house trained and attacked other dogs. Then it might have been an ex guard dog. If that was the case I am surprised they let it go to a family at all.

Phil
Make Love Not War

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:48:25 AM »
Phil,
   I do agree with you regarding the rspca being more buisness run than animal friendly run. However many people like sueb often cannot praise them enogh and for that reason i say it would be a shame to see it go if so many folks had trust in it.
   To be honest i have had problems with both barnes hill and birmingham dogs home in the past.
   First was when my little yorkie had to be admitted for an eye infection that could not be cleared up. I was having a terrible time getting the little tinker to take her anti-biotics so barnes hill decided to give her drip fed anti biotics over two days to give her imune system a boost. Imagine my surprize when i phoned them and was told she had to have an emergancy operation and they asked if she had been in a car accident. I cannot remember the different charges but know the anesthetic alone was 90 pounds and that was years ago. Imagine my second shock when i went to pay and collect my pet and they bought out this VERY angry looking german shepherd....yep they had mixed two dogs up.
  After this i took her to Hollywood vets [not the one in the usa] and although my fourtnighty visits were costing 35 quid a throw they were excellent. As time went by and hubby became unable to work we then took her to the pdsa who i must admit are terrific and only ask for a donation with a suggestion of five pounds yet i think this service is only for those in receipt of housing benifit.

The second and more recont [about 3 years ago] was with birmingham dogs home. My handicapped daughter then about 27 wanted a dog. They told her she would get a special deal because she was on dla benifit. They did a check of her ground floor flat with garden for suitability. Then told her of two deals. She chose one that was about 90 pounds with a months supply of food.
  The dog was a nightmare. It refused to eat the food and was vicious. My poor daughter spent one night locked in her toilet terrified of the thing. As she is profoundly deaf and did not have her mobile with her she could not call for help. We asked people what breed they thought the dog was including a trainee vet and everyone said american pit bull. It was a chunky white medium size similar to a bull terrier but with a slightly different [evil] look.
  I phoned the dogs home and was furious with them. They denied the fact it was a pit bull saying they should know better than me. Yes they took the dog back but refused to refund her and gave a credit note instead which my daughter ripped up and purchased a caged bird instead and the dog food went in the bin.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »
Jacqueline

I have to be honest, I have had very little dealings with the RSPCA myself. I can only remember ever speaking to them once and that was in connection with a little injured fledgling that one of my grandchildren found in the lane.

I rang them and they made it plain they were not in a postion to send anyone out but I was welcome to drop it in at their local office (as far as I am aware Barnes Hill) and they would attend to it. They at first suggested that I put it back where it was found. Sound advice in normal circumstances, but it was injured so I wasn't about to do that. Barnes Hill and back would be a round trip of about 2 hours for me at the time of day it was.

In the end I resolved the matter by taking it to the vet that I use for my family pets. He looked at it and said that he would fix it up and hand it over to a animal shelter he knew and they would look after it until it could fend for itself and then it would be released.

I asked the vet how much his charges were, and his reply was "no charge". So what we had was a man who was running a business paying to look after an animal that a charity who collect donations from the public couldn't be bothered with.

Phil
Make Love Not War

sueb

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 06:54:22 PM »
Yes, I did phone Barnes Hill to ask how the dog was getting on and they said he was fine but were waiting until a few weeks into the New Year before they re-homed him so that people didn't take him for Christmas and then dumped him. 
The Birmingham Dog's Home were the irresponsible ones letting the dog go to a flat in the first place.  The dog wasn't vicious towards humans, just other dogs.