Author Topic: River Cole  (Read 23930 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: River Cole
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »
Robgriff

The Cole rises in Wythall and runs through Birmingham to where it joins the Blythe near Coleshill, the Blythe in turn joins the Tame just a little further on. The Tame joins the Trent which flows into the North Sea.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne W

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2016, 08:53:17 PM »
Dad took us for a walk along there, we walked across the black smelly stuff, I slipped and got covered in it. Mom was not pleased! Was it sewage?

townie

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2016, 09:40:14 PM »
When we had cross country at school we had to wade though the river twice, one on the way out and then again on the return. I would say at that time, at Norman chamberlain fields the river must have been about 3 ft deep. Nobody bothered then as you knew you were in for a nice hot shower at the end. Plus it was fun in those days. Some days though we used to skip the crossing and hide in the long grass all part of school. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 01:50:41 PM »
Was there any fish in this river? as I cant remember ever seeing anyone fishing.

Escutcheon

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2016, 12:07:17 PM »
It used to run at the back of Wash Lane, Yardley where we used to live and was, I think, the border between Yardley & Small Heath on its way to Coleshill.

townie

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »
Does anyone know if it is possible to walk the River Cole?

JudithM

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »
I don't know about the whole length of it, but I found a couple of short walks when I did a google search.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Escutcheon

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2016, 01:42:10 PM »
You could certainly walk along the stretch where we were.

Spud

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2016, 02:53:57 PM »
We would often walk from Yardley Wood thro the Dingles Springfield over Formans Road to Warwick Road.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

dougmcgill

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2016, 11:55:02 AM »
As youngsters we used to play in the River Cole by the Stratford zRoad, Hall Green.
We used to make rafts out of 45 gallon drums and sale them down over the waterfall. It was like shooting the rapids. Great fun.
We used to go fishing for tiddlers by the allotments on the Burberry Brick stretch of the river.
Hours and hours of good honest fun. I'm nearly 80 years old now but still remember those great days.

townie

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2016, 10:04:16 PM »
Hi to anyone who is interested in the River Cole. Would anyone be interested in walking the route of the river, its about 25 miles so estimate 2 to 3 days. I am looking mid September so that will give you time to make transport arrangements to and from. If anyone is interested please sent a PM if its only one I don't mind its something to tell the grandkids and I bet there isn't many people who have done it. Don't forget your camera.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy