Author Topic: Old tattoo artists in Brum ?  (Read 16726 times)

Ray Harrison

Old tattoo artists in Brum ?
« on: June 04, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »
Does anyone remember a Tattoo shop on Neachells green way back in the 60s. I had my first tattoo done there when I was 14. I met the guy again when he came into my scrap yard to sell his scrap car 40 years later. Has anyone else had tattoos when young why and where ?. I had other tattoos done later , in the army at Aldershot . the last was 20 years ago done by a Maori the other side of the world. They did not cost a lot in them days . Only doing this thread because my idiot son has spent £1000 on tattoos last month.
BUD

townie

Re: Old tattoo artists in Brum ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 04:35:18 PM »
Being a chav myself I have lots of tattoos, None of my tattoos cost anything as I used to go down the tattooist shop every day. If nobody came in he would say to me pick one. So really I was like a practise board. Mine are all old now but some of the tattoos I see nowadays are fantastic. A work of art. Some people like them some don't. I've got mine and if someone don't like them, don't look.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »
Ray

I had my first tattoo at the shop on Nechells Park Rd just before Andy's coaches was it? We trotted up there from the El Greco café one day about four of us. If I remember correctly mine was the cheapest in the shop that wasn't a flower or a star. It cost me 7/6d (thirty seven and a half pence)  If I remember correctly and I had to think twice about that. I only ever had one other done and that was at the shop at Camp Hill by Bordesley Station.

This is the load of rubbish from Nechells Park Rd, I have to agree that the tattoos today are like works of art compared to those of yesteryear.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »
Is that supposed to be a black panther, I have one like that on my leg. Looks a bit better than that though but not much.

frederick

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »
Ray,
The cost of tattoos today, and you will find that most younger people on benefits can afford them.   :o

Townie,
As you say yours are out dated now, the same will happen with the ones they are having now then what do they do to keep up with the fashion.....which they have to keep up with.    :-\

My tattoos are sewing mutilation that the surgeons have done over my life.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Ray Harrison

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 06:43:42 PM »
Phil, my second one was done at Camp hill too by the That time I was living in Highgate,It  was a heart with a girls name.  Talk about new age ones being a work of art for £1000 I would expect a work of art. I have seen some very very nice tattoos in the past ,I saw some girls in Singapore with large flowers all over their backs even my wife liked them. My son had one on the theme of "batman"what a dick and he,s 45.
BUD

townie

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 06:53:45 PM »
Is he going back for Robin.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »
townie. hes got the lot ,Robin/Joker/Penguin etc, all over arms and back.
BUD

townie

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »
If he's happy leave him, its his body and if he can afford it let him. My Mom and Dad didn't like a lot of what I done. I learnt in the end and so will your son.

planetmalc

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »
Tattoos on women put me right off :-\ (almost  -  but not quite  -  as much as nose studs >:( ).
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:59:03 PM »
Malc  I quite agree , The culture of the person is all important a very nice Asian lady with a large Orchid on her back and over the shoulder is a work of art ,the same on an English girl badly done looks rubbish. Same goes for ring through noses on Indian girls its ok . on Waynette Slob its cac.  When I had tattoos it was linked with bikers at the time same goes with the ear rings(which I also had done then)we all did it as a culture thing, followed on by tattoos in the services. In Moari culture its a life passage symbol .
BUD

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy