Author Topic: Old tattoo artists in Brum ?  (Read 16714 times)

frederick

Re: Old tattoo artists in Brum ?
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2018, 04:26:12 PM »
In the mid 80s the free trade brewery rep that visited our place had on his knuckles LOVE HATE not the thing to have on your knuckles then when dearling with the public, he was a very good rep. His boss payed for him to have them lasered off. I did say to him I am surprised you got the job having those on your finger and dealing with the public.......that's the way it was back then they were though of as lower class. And now in some circals they are looked down on.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

JudithM

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2018, 01:08:23 PM »
In the mid 80s the free trade brewery rep that visited our place had on his knuckles LOVE HATE not the thing to have on your knuckles then when dearling with the public, he was a very good rep. His boss payed for him to have them lasered off. I did say to him I am surprised you got the job having those on your finger and dealing with the public.......that's the way it was back then they were though of as lower class. And now in some circals they are looked down on.
Hand tattoos can be frowned upon, but they are getting more popular.  Some tattooists won't do them unless they know the person has a job or trade where it won't affect them - musicians for instance.  Same with neck tattoos.

The Love Hate thing does rather date tattoos now, it's kinda gone out of fashion, a bit cliché.  I do know someone who has Love Song on theirs.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

JudithM

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »
Nothing against tattoos, but the high street in some places does seem to be infested with them, like nail bars, turkish barbers and estate agents

Yes, you have to be careful.  You do have to get a licence to tattoo, but you don't have to pass an exam or anything to become one.  There are health & safety rules, regulations & certifications that have to be complied with but that's it - nothing to measure your skills as an artist.

In the old days a tattoo artist would learn their trade from another - an apprenticeship - and they'd work their way up to tattooing people.  It was almost a kind of closed society.  These days anyone can buy a tattoo gun & ink - you can buy a gun & kit off Amazon for around £50.  So anyone can set up, so there are some really dodgy artists out there. 
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Peg Monkey

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »
For most, it's a form of self expression (tattoos & piercings).  Along the lines of dying your hair - mine fall into that category, they have no deep significance.

For others tattoos are a way to memorialise something or somebody.  People have tattoos to mark occasions, not just bad ones.  Yes, there are tattoos that signify the loss of a loved one, but also ones to signify change - especially when something bad has been overcome (recovering from a serious illness, getting out of an abusive relationship, the birth of a child). 

There are as many different reasons as there are people.

I think 2000 is when it started to become more commonplace.  When I had my first in 1987 it was very unusual - especially for an office worker.  At the time I was the only person in the office - male or female - that had any tattoos.  Now where I work I'd say at least half the staff have them, possibly even more women than men.

Certainly when I had my first I only knew of one tattoo parlour, now most high streets have one - some more than one.

Tatoos No tatoos - I treat all ladies like a Princess, as my wife will atest!(?!)
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

townie

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2018, 09:36:59 PM »

Judith. You are quite right when you say tattooing was almost a kind of closed society. It was very hard to get your hands on the ink never mind the tattooing gun. Nearly all my tattoos were done by a chap in Erdington think it was Station Road, his tattooing name was Tony Lynx. Some of you might have had tattoos done by him.
Sometimes he would take around different tattooists where they would talk for hours all about tattoo stuff nothing else.

I did once have one done in Saltley by a chap whose name I think was Pat but we won't dwell on that as I think he had just come out the pub and the tattoo is evidence to that. LOL.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Keith c mace.

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »
So no one else had a tattoo done by Johnny O'Brian in "The Bingo"arcade then?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2018, 04:53:28 PM »

Would that be the Kings Hall Market?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2018, 05:54:56 PM »
The Bingo Arcade was opposite Rackhams,on a corner.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2018, 07:37:21 PM »
Are you sure it wasn't on the corner of Lower Priory opposite Lewis's?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2018, 07:41:45 PM »
"That's the place".....Well done for finding the photograph.

Teddygirl

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2018, 06:14:45 PM »
yes. I did in 1959,even a copper standing outside advised me not to go in I was only 16, but hey I was a teddy boy, and phil, if you see this could you possibly change my username to teddy boy as teddygirl is the mrs :D how I put that in is a mystery.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy