Author Topic: Old tattoo artists in Brum ?  (Read 16718 times)

frederick

Re: Old tattoo artists in Brum ?
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2018, 08:33:05 AM »
Modesty, There was a men wearing shorts yesterday and it was cold so he could show off his leg tattoos......it just shows some people are barmy.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2018, 10:50:48 AM »
Judith

It's your right to do whatever you like with your body, and it's no business of anybody else but yourself. If you like body art and piercings then it's down to you. There are many kinds of prejudice in this world, and I'm afraid this is just another example of the way some people think we should all fall in with what they class as normal.

Now having said that I have to admit that as I have got older I have grown to like my own tattoos less and less and have even got to a point where I have thought about having a couple of them removed. There again that is not because of what anybody has said to me. In fact I don't think anybody has mentioned them to me for years now, but it's simply because I think they are not me anymore.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2018, 01:37:58 PM »

Now having said that I have to admit that as I have got older I have grown to like my own tattoos less and less and have even got to a point where I have thought about having a couple of them removed. There again that is not because of what anybody has said to me. In fact I don't think anybody has mentioned them to me for years now, but it's simply because I think they are not me anymore.
Yes, we all change, and what was relevant & meaningful to someone once might not be in the future.  Many people get tattoos covered or removed.  At least you have that option these days, although I think the laser treatment is fairly costly & it will take a few sessions to fade them completely.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2018, 03:07:13 PM »
Judith

I have seen the results of several attempted tattoo removals on various people and what I saw was not a very good advertisement for tattoo removal as often the result was worse than the tattoo itself. Mind you it might be different now. This is why I have never bothered to have it done.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »
Judith

I have seen the results of several attempted tattoo removals on various people and what I saw was not a very good advertisement for tattoo removal as often the result was worse than the tattoo itself. Mind you it might be different now. This is why I have never bothered to have it done.
Maybe it depends on where you go (and of course different people's skin will react differently to others).  I've seen some really good results (both on tv & in person).  These days they use lasers to break down the ink into smaller molecules which the body can then absorb. It would take several treatments to completely fade a tattoo & of course it depends on how dark it was to start off with.  I'd also imagine the type of ink originally used is a factor as well.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Trixsie

« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2021, 05:00:19 AM »
I can't understand why any girl would have a tattoo of her boyfriend's name, there are only 2 things for certain in this life Death and Taxes.

Scipio

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2021, 07:23:45 PM »
I can't understand why any girl would have a tattoo of her boyfriend's name, there are only 2 things for certain in this life Death and Taxes.

Back in the 60's my mates sister had one of her boyfriends name tattooed on her arm , she fell out with him, met somebody else , who insisted that if she was going to marry him that tattoo would have to be removed so 40 stitches later , I think tattoos today are applied a different way I don't think it breaks the skin as it used to.
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Gwladmab

« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2021, 07:37:02 PM »
I started on the tattoo trail in about 1973. Went to a bloke down the bottom end of Small Heath. His name was Pat Maine and as others have mentioned (if it’s the same one) this man was always in the pub. In fact I think there was only his shop and the pub next door still standing. The rest of the areas was demolished. I had two tattoos in one go. They were both rubbish when I took the tissue and sellotape off them. I later went to a man called Tony Lynx in Erdington. Tony was in a different class, more expensive but worth it. Back then he refused to tattoo hands, neck, face or girls.

Scipio

« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2021, 07:44:20 PM »
I started on the tattoo trail in about 1973. Went to a bloke down the bottom end of Small Heath. His name was Pat Maine and as others have mentioned (if it’s the same one) this man was always in the pub. In fact I think there was only his shop and the pub next door still standing. The rest of the areas was demolished. I had two tattoos in one go. They were both rubbish when I took the tissue and sellotape off them. I later went to a man called Tony Lynx in Erdington. Tony was in a different class, more expensive but worth it. Back then he refused to tattoo hands, neck, face or girls.

Gwladmab
                My introduction to tattoos was at school , a needle or pin with cotton wrapped about an eighth of an inch from the point , bottle of Indian ink and a lot of jabbing in the shape of a  bird between my thumb and index finger on the back of the hand . The chap who done it was an expert , I think it had disappeared after a fortnight , that was the extent of tattoos with me
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

lmr3103

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2021, 08:06:07 PM »
You were brave Scipio, the only tattoo I ever had were the paper ones you placed on your arm then soaked with water and left for so long before peeling off. I never could wait long enough so inevitably half the tattoo came off as I peeled the paper back.... I do remember going through a phase of drawing on myself, my Mom used to have a fit!

Gwladmab

« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2021, 08:11:51 PM »

Gwladmab
                My introduction to tattoos was at school , a needle or pin with cotton wrapped about an eighth of an inch from the point , bottle of Indian ink and a lot of jabbing in the shape of a  bird between my thumb and index finger on the back of the hand . The chap who done it was an expert , I think it had disappeared after a fortnight , that was the extent of tattoos with me
That reminds of the time before I had a proper tattoo. I got a bottle of Indian ink. I tried experimenting with a few dots, then of all things I decided to tattoo a swastika on the back of my left hand. I was a biker at the time, so thought it would go with the image that I was trying to portray but could never meet.

The tattoo took a few years to fade, I can just about see it now as I know where to look.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy