Author Topic: Sorrento maternity Hospital  (Read 14162 times)

Midwife

Re: Sorrento maternity Hospital
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 02:06:05 AM »
I have been  trying to post pictures  of   student midwives    myself  and  friends  in  grounds of Sorrento  hosp.    However,  I  although I manage to upload  a picture   whilst  deleting numerous  advertisements along the  way,  cannot  seem to be  able to  put the  picture  onto the  forum  site ?    Phil -- moderator  sent me a link  which is  fraught   with   advertisements   video's  for  all sorts  , from   fashion   shows  to well know  high street  stores  and   Insurance  companies .  Can  anyone help ?

frederick

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 11:06:23 AM »
Midwife,
I use TINYPIC.COM and default to 640x480.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 11:31:38 AM »
Midwife

Tinypics is the site that I linked you to and although I don't use it myself it is recommended by our administrator. What I do is use. I think you will find that most free sites use advertising to pay for their overheads or why would they offer a free service?

http://www.webresizer.com/

and reduce the photos the required size and then upload them direct from my computer,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Midwife

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
photos    thankyou  for  the   advice / information    I understand   about  advertisements  and free sites . it was  just that they   kept appearing  where the  information  was printed
   I have had  another go   so! lets see if I have been successful   

Photo  1    is of a younger  Midwife   wearing apron   and two friends , we    would have been in second half of  training  as   3   stripes on hats.  Venue = grounds  of Sorrento  Maternity  Hospital   I am still in contact  with the  person standing next to me ( Maggie   Boardman)  BUT  ,  Ita Earl   in  the  fore ground, we have lost contact  with,        date of this  Photo  ? late  summer  1973  &  before  April 1974.
 Photo  2 (  same  date ) is  of  Midwife's  3   friends,   the person missing  from  photo  1  is Maria   Perera   ,  Who  returned  to  Sri Lanka   in late  1970's,  Maggie   and I have lost  touch  with both  Ita   & Maria .
 Photo  3  is  of a  rather miserable looking  Midwife    as a newly  qualified Staff Midwife  ; venue    a room in one of the old houses    Sorrento used  for  Staff accommodation.   Date   post April 1974

Midwife

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 11:27:33 AM »
Photos   Midwife ,   I  forgot to mention I have  permission  from my  friend  Maggie  Boardman  to post these photo's    , both  of us  have tried  to  find the other two  without  success.

Midwife

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 12:36:35 PM »
Hi Midwife

Glad you were able to sort it out in the end, nice photos.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Midwife

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »
A little  more   Sorrento Hospital  memorabilia
Photo  1 ---   badges     one is the Sorrento  hospital   Badge  awarded  to those  who  passed   hospital  finals  exam  which were taken  just before State  Final exams
    the other    BADGE  is the      SCM  (  State   Certified  Midwife )   badge   awarded to those who were  successfully  qualified   as a  Midwife   The  Regulatory/ Registration  body  of that  time  was   the Central  Midwives  Board     then  later  a massive reorganisation  &    one  regulatory  Body  was  formed  which was the UKCC ( United Kingdom  Central Council   for Nursing    Midwifery and Health Visiting)  Then !   re organised again   and  now  the NMC ( Nursing  Midwifery Council)      I did  the  integrated  midwifery  Training   i.e  Hospital / District   training  incorporated into  one  ----   previously   there had been 2 parts  each with its  own recognised  examination.
      All  the  badges  were   produce  by Thomas Fattorini Limited    ( as written on my  badge  boxes)   the address  given is :Regent Street Works   Birmingham 1  England

Photo  2    is  the  front  cover of  my  very  dogeared   record book    which recoded  all   clinical  and theoretical training including   Babies delivered 
 Photo  3   is   the front cover  of  the   Central  Midwives Board Handbook   which   contained  all   information  regarding  ,  legal  requirements  for  being  a practising  midwife /   rules      about  training    / update/ notification of  practice/duties imposed  upon  midwives   by  statute   etc

Personal  memorabilia   but a little social history
  State  examination was   in two parts  written and  oral
   I recall  we did  our  Written State   final   exams  at   Sorrento   But    had to  go  to  Coventry Hospital  for   our    Oral   Exam   known as  " the viva"
  If  I have  board anyone -- my apologies

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »
Midwife

You are certainly not boring me, I'm always interested in the history of Birmingham from any point of view or aspect.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheppy

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 10:43:46 PM »
My daughter Lynn was born in 1967 she was delivered at home by two police officers from Coventry road police station Small Heath
She was very poorly when she was born and a incubator was needed after the birth  a emergency call was sent out to Sorrento hospital and they immediately sent a ambulance to our home for her to be transferred to the Sorrento hospital  where she had to stay for the first few weeks of her life.
I will never forget the wonderful treatment she had this hospital.
she is now very healthy and married with two children.

Midwife

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 11:24:27 PM »
The    Sorrento  Special Care Baby  unit    was ,in its  time a  highly  regarded unit .   Even had its own particular way  of wrapping babies in  blankets   --------    I doubt if it is possible  to    trace them  now   ,  but there  were   articles  published  in  professional  journals   about the    Sorrento special  care baby unit. 

apologies  for  any  typographical  spelling   errors  in   any of my posts  .     I am   a  self  taught   typist   so often hit the   wrong keys  :D .

mikejee

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 11:52:10 PM »

Midwife
The Google Scholar search engine shows many papers from Sorrento, a number of them available free in pdf form , for example :http://adc.bmj.com/content/67/4/556.full.pdf
http://www.bmj.com/content/285/6342/589.full.pdf+html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235006/
the last including a study comparing bacterial contamination in a premature baby unit cleaned by Broom or by Hoover

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy