Author Topic: Photos Mary Street Balsall Heath before demolision in late 1960s  (Read 25215 times)

Spud

Re: Photos Mary Street Balsall Heath before demolision in late 1960s
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 11:52:39 AM »
Great pictures Phil.
Brings back memories from when I worked in the TV repair game in the 50s. One of our shops was situated in Highgate Rd so many of our customers were in the Balsall Heath area this was of course during the time when Balsall Heath the reputation of having a few how can I say 'Houses of Pleasure'. I was only about 16 so when we had a call to visit one such house my eyes popped out  like Chapel Hat Pegs or worse. The owner of the house was a huge Asian Bloke with a Turban and we were called to repair one of those old Radiograms with the 8 record changer which were unreliable at the best of times. It was pouring cats and dogs as we arrived and as we went through the house it was obvious what was going on in there. Each girl had a separate room kitted out with a bed a settee and a Radiogram and decorated so loud it gave you earache. The Asian bloke was doing his fruit. The Girls because of the weather had refused to go out. Anyway we had a go at this radiogram while this young lady sat on her Bed. Whether she distracted us I'll never know but quite honestly the radiogram was really not much better when we left.
A couple a of days later this Asian bloke gets off the bus in Selly Oak just outside of our repair shop and proceeded to unload the Radiogram on to the pavement. God knows how he got it on the Bus in the first place he then man handled it into to the showroom and demanded we repaired properly. I can't remember whether we were successful or not but I'll never forget my first and only visit to a House of Ill Repute.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »
Spud

Where was your shop in Highgate Rd, as there were several as I remember (well at least three). I remember taking our accumulator to be recharged at the one that was opposite the top of out street (Larches St) there was one I think at the bottom of Larches Passage and another down toward Ladypool Rd.

As for the working girls, they were OK and they didn't bite, (not unless you asked them to). Seriously they weren't much bother and in my opinion as long as it was kept off the streets then they should have been left alone.

Sorry I should add that this board is mainly for photos and images, and that we should be discussing that on one of the other Balsall Heath threads. If you wish to continue this conversation please move to one of those.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 05:01:22 PM »
malc

there is one certain way of finding your photos, and that is call up your profile from there click on show posts. That will bring up every post you have made to the forum. Go through them all, but only click on the ones that mention Mary st. It will take a little time but you will get there in the end.

Phil..

Thanks for the advice.  I have now been through all 91 pages of my forum posts, alas, no luck finding the pictures I wanted. If they were on the forum, I feel sure they would have been found by putting them in the search box, if I had put them on the forum.  The thing is, I had many pictures on my old defunct laptop that were not put on the forum, they were pics of things/places that were of interest to me. The problem is, I can't recall were I saw the pics of Mary St School, but it had to be on line. I have tried all the search methods and words that I can think of to try and find them, without any luck. Maybe they have been deleted ??  If so, it is a shame, as they showed the rear of the school just as demolition had started.

Malc.                                                                                                             

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

cocacolakid

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
Spud

Where was your shop in Highgate Rd, as there were several as I remember (well at least three). I remember taking our accumulator to be recharged at the one that was opposite the top of out street (Larches St) there was one I think at the bottom of Larches Passage and another down toward Ladypool Rd.

Phil...

If I may butt in, I recall there being a fishing tackle shop Run by Mr Jones, just before the Bridge. Opposite side of the road I think there was a sewing machine shop??  opposite Larches St was A hardware shop, which may have been where you got your accumulator recharged??

As you say, there was one or more just before Ladypool Rd, and there was a sweet shop just before Stoney Lane, by the # 8 bus stop. There may have been others, but time as fogged the memory a bit.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »
Malc

I have some photos of Mary Street school as it was being demolished, but as they belong to Mikejee I will have to get his permission to post them. Hopefully I will post them later.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 05:35:50 PM »
Malc

I have some photos of Mary Street school as it was being demolished, but as they belong to Mikejee I will have to get his permission to post them. Hopefully I will post them later.

Phil..

Thanks for that. I think Mikejee will be willing to allow you to use the photos you mention, he has been very helpful in the past, but I understand you need to check with him first. Hopefully you will be able to show them, and that they are the ones I am looking for.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »
Malc

Mike has said it's OK so here are the photos, I'm not sure they are all Mike's but if not I don't know where they are from, but they all look like the sort Mike would have taken
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 08:26:56 PM »
some more here
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
and yet some more
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 08:30:43 PM »
and these last two,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Paulina

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 08:46:04 PM »
 :) Thankyou Phil, wonderful to see these pictures, many thanks for looking for them and putting them up. Am enjoying seeing them . :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy