Author Topic: Characters from the Crown pub, Ringway club, Mexi cafe 60s/70s  (Read 7536 times)

townie

Characters from the Crown pub, Ringway club, Mexi cafe 60s/70s
As some of you know I lived on Birmingham City Centre in the late sixties and early seventies. I don't know if anyone on the forum lived on the streets of the City Centre as well. I was just wondering if you did, do you remember any of the characters. Some I can recall are, Fred the bed, Old Ted always wore a trilby hat and flower in his lapel. The biggest queen in Birmingham Barry Parker. Little Fred with long blonde hair, The Crook brothers. A girl named Julie had a flat in Castle vale. I can see all the faces even now, but am unable to put names to them. As I get younger the memories may return and I will be able to name a few more. If anyone can remember more characters from these venues please post.

Wouldn't it be great just to go back in time just for one day. Never forget my Denise. If you would like to know more about Denise there is a thread Denise. Have a look it may make you think. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

kp

Re: Characters from the Crown pub, Ringway club, Mexi cafe 60s/70s
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:21:01 AM »
townie, as you can see I found the thread you mentioned, I thought i'd answer it here so-as to refresh it.
 unfortunately I don't remember any of the people you mentioned in it. you obviously have some good memories of the place, hope someone else might remember 

townie

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:12:28 AM »
kp Thanks for  re-energising the thread. Did you use the Crown or Ringway?

townie

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »
Another character from the Crown was a girl called Viv. God did we party the Crown, Ringway. and of course the Mexi 

Don't you sit back sometimes and think where are they now.

townie

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:04:26 PM »
Another two, I have thought of are Eric and Gordon always drank in the small room in the crown. Any one else you can think of from the Crown? 

Ann53

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 01:47:34 PM »
I remember Barry and also Irish  Mick the other Queen of Brum,  I remember Barry and his dancing in the Ringway, always a showman!

townie

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 02:15:32 PM »
I remember Barry and also Irish  Mick the other Queen of Brum,  I remember Barry and his dancing in the Ringway, always a showman!

Hi Ann53 Glad someone remembers the good old days best in town, pub Crown, night club Ringway and café Mexicarno . I don't remember Irish Mick can you shed a bit more light. I was a regular in the 3 above from late 60s into mid 70s. when I say regular I mean every night.   

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 04:08:43 PM »
Hi Ann

You are certainly right about Barry being a showman, but he was a good dancer. I don't know what time period you are talking about as I have no recollection of Irish Mick that hung about with him. Could it possibly have been Danny the barman from the Rum Runner?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 04:52:58 PM »
The only other person it could have been was a person named Darrell. 

WANDERER

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 11:40:38 PM »
Hi, I used The Crown from late 1990s - I remember Tommy with the trilby and flower in his lapel. Drank barley wines  - right up to when he died aged about 85. Gordon was a great friend of mine (if we're talking the same Gordon) - lived in flats opposite (Stephenson Towers - now demolished). He died September 2006. Knew loads of great people and characters, often wonder where they all are - although I do know a lot have sadly passed on. Anyone remember Jim Parsons from the Royal Mail? He has sadly passed on now also. Live down South now, could not believe Crown had closed. RIP my friends,great memories

townie

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 11:54:20 PM »

Irish mick i think was actually Cockney Mick, he is either dead now, or in a mental institution, and if we have the right person believe me Cockney Mick was not a queen.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy